Answered

Beam Doesn’t Work With Philips Hue

• 10 October 2019
  • 12 replies

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies
Hi all,

My Beam is great. I can turn my TV on and off with it by saying, “Alexa, family room on/off”

My issue is that I’ve just installed two Philips Hue bulbs in wall fixings. My other Philips Hue bulbs in the house work with my other Alexa devices. I just say, “Alexa, Sitting Room On/Off” and they turn on and off.

When I ask the Beam to do this it responds, “Did you mean Family Room?” When I say, “No,” it responds, “Sorry, I didn’t find a device called Sitting Room.”

Any ideas before I murder Alexa?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 11 October 2019, 00:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi TWFY

Try the following:
  1. Make sure the lights are named the same in the Philips Hue app as they are in Alexa or vise-versa.
  2. On your Beam turn on your wall lights and ask Alexa to discover devices.
  3. Test your commands
  1. Definitely named the same.
  2. What do you mean, “On your Beam turn on your wall lights? They are already on and when I ask Alexa to discover devices it replies that it can’t find any new smart home devices.
Incidentally, I have set up a routine for these lights when I speak to the Beam. “I’m eating,” puts the lights on 100%. Frustrating that I just can’t control them like all other Hue lights via Alexa.
Userlevel 7
  2. What do you mean, “On your Beam turn on your wall lights? They are already on and when I ask Alexa to discover devices it replies that it can’t find any new smart home devices.
Incidentally, I have set up a routine for these lights when I speak to the Beam. “I’m eating,” puts the lights on 100%. Frustrating that I just can’t control them like all other Hue lights via Alexa.

Reference 2 above: Sorry I placed words out of order. The statement should have been...

Turn on your wall lights and via the Beam ask Alexa to discover devices.

Alexa responding that no new devices were discovered is not uncommon. If the problem is not resolved I suggest you
  1. Unplug the Beam
  2. Reboot your router
  3. Plug in your Beam
  4. Try your commands
Reference your routine: I just say... Alexa, make X (which the name of the light) 100% 😉
I didn't think Sonos speakers supported Alexa routines. They certainly didn't, although I may be out of date on that.

I have found that glitches can often be sorted by disablig the Sonos skill, re-enabling it and then doing a 'discover devices'.
I didn't think Sonos speakers supported Alexa routines. They certainly didn't, although I may be out of date on that.

I have found that glitches can often be sorted by disablig the Sonos skill, re-enabling it and then doing a 'discover devices'.

Mine didn’t when I first got it. I’ve tried and failed to get my Hue bulbs to respond to Alexa on Beam but I have set up new routines that allow me to turn the lights on and off!

Reference 2 above: Sorry I placed words out of order. The statement should have been...

Turn on your wall lights and via the Beam ask Alexa to discover devices.

Alexa responding that no new devices were discovered is not uncommon. If the problem is not resolved I suggest you
  1. Unplug the Beam
  2. Reboot your router
  3. Plug in your Beam
  4. Try your commands
Reference your routine: I just say... Alexa, make X (which the name of the light) 100% 😉

Thanks. I tried this but it didn’t want to play ball. Am I right in thinking you have a Beam and it all works?
I have a Beam and instructions to turn on/off any of my Hue lights work as on my Echo Dots.
I have a Beam and instructions to turn on/off any of my Hue lights work as on my Echo Dots.

Do you have any Hue bulbs in the same room as your Beam and what do you call them?
Just tried to turn on my bedroom light from my Beam in the living room and the Beam just gets confused and asks me if I mean “Lounge”. It’s bonkers.
Userlevel 7
Yes, I have a Beam.

Hints: I’m typing this on my cell so excuse typos

Make sure your lights have a distinct name. Keep light names simple. Don’t name a light with the word Room involved. For example if Room name for a speaker is Living Room don’t name the smart light Living Room 2. Just call the smart light Lamp or Table One. Heck I have a smart light called Ginger.

The only time lights should have Room in the name is when they are part of a group. For example.

The Playbar in my bedroom is called Master Bedroom.
l have Sonos One as surrounds in this room. There are two smart lamps. Lamp 1 and Lamp 2. The lamps are in a group called Bedroom. My commands can be for an individual Lamp or both by saying turn on/off bedroom.

l can turn every smart light in my home on/off regardless of location by saying Alexa, turn on/off lights.

I hope this helps. It’s killing me typing on my phone LOL
Thanks Aj. I’ll give it another go tomorrow when I’ve chilled out. Wanted to burn my Beam earlier!

I have a Beam and instructions to turn on/off any of my Hue lights work as on my Echo Dots.Do you have any Hue bulbs in the same room as your Beam and what do you call them?

I have one, called 'Den Lamp'. But as it is in an Alexa group in which the Beam is the Alexa controller, I always just say 'turn on/off light'.