Question

Beam Alexa wont control my lights

• 1 December 2019
  • 6 replies

Sonos bean Alexa will play music but won’t control my smart home, she will say “okay” to a command, but it doesn’t work. I’ve got echo dots around house that all work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I can control my Hue lights using Alexa on my Beam, as well as with my Echo Dots. I don't know why your Beam isn't working in this respect, but it isn't because it can't. 

I can control my Hue lights using Alexa on my Beam, as well as with my Echo Dots. I don't know why your Beam isn't working in this respect, but it isn't because it can't. 

Have you setup rooms on the Alexa app? I’ve got the beam setup in lounge and have added it into my lounge group, but cannot add the beam as a voice control for that room - I previously had a dot in the lounge 

I’m having the same problem. It controlled my lights at first when I installed it about a week ago but in the last couple of days, it’s stopped. Did an update break it perhaps?

Are you using the term 'room' interchangeably with 'group'? I have groups set up.

Are you trying to add your Beam to a group that already has an Alexa device? My Beam is the Alexa device for a group.

I’m having the same problem. It controlled my lights at first when I installed it about a week ago but in the last couple of days, it’s stopped. Did an update break it perhaps?

My Beam still controlling lights.  Update not at fault.

Userlevel 7

@MABC90 

This probably won’t resolve your issue; but it may help going forward for future reference 

Trying to diagnose why Alexa isn’t controlling this or that can be complicated. Here’s the first and most important rule to follow IMO: Don’t have multiple devices with similar names or one that is repeated such as:

• Media Room light
  • Kitchen light
  • Bedroom light 

In the above example in my Bedroom I have two lamps and the Group is called Bedroom:

• Lamp One
  • Lamp Two

The commands I use are:

• Alexa, turn on/off Lamp One
  • Alexa, turn on/off Lamp Two
  • Alexa, turn on/off Bedroom (activates/deactivates both lamps)

In my Media Room I have two modes of lighting and the Group is called Media Room:

• Table One
  • Strip Lights (Phillips Hue Strips lights)

My commands are:

• Alexa, turn on/off Table One
  • Alexa, turn on/off Strip Lights
  • Alexa, turn on/off Media Room

If I want to turn on/off every light in my home my commands are:

• Alexa, turn on/off lights
  • Alexa, good night (turns off all lights)

To be clear Alexa will on occasion ask for clarification but it’s just a matter of speaking more distinctly or slower to correct the issue. I’ll also admit that sometimes Alexa will not stop streaming music on command to “Alexa, stop music”. In that instance I manually stop the music in the Sonos App and “End the Session”. The next time everything works as it should.

Alexa, is not perfect and there will be glitches. I’d assume the same is true with the Google assistant. Good luck to resolve your issues.

FYI, I use Alexa with my Beam, Sonos Ones, Sonos Moves and Amazon devices. I changed the wake command on the Amazon devices to Echo and Computer; so as not to have Alexa answering everywhere. 

Cheers!