Answered

BBC Radio, Alexa, Sonos

• 29 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

Like many of us, one reason I want Alexa on my Sonos is to get easy access to their vast range of radio programmes.

The main way to do this now seems to be via the BBC Skill.  But there are problems, for instance:

1.  Suppose I listen to the 6 o’clock news on 10th January, but don’t finish.  Then I ask for the 6 o’clock news on 11th January.  It will resume the episode from the 10th, i.e. one day out of date, without any means of moving to the next episode.
  2. The skill notes say that I should be able to move to the next episode, fast foward within an episode, and so on, by saying “Alexa, ask the BBC to … fast forward”, etc, but in fact all such instructions are met with, “I can’t do that”.

A little Googling suggests that these problems are widespread.  It does seem incredible that, given the state of the art, we still can’t reliably and easily access to the desired episode of the desired BBC radio programme, but we can’t -- though I don’t know whether to blame Amazon, the BBC, or Sonos.

Any advice VERY welcome.

Thanks all

David

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 30 January 2020, 19:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi David

The BBC removed the ability of TuneIn to play BBC radio stations via Voice Control, hence your use of the BBC Skill.  Please see my post for how to use TuneIn for BBC radio stations: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/step-by-step-guide-to-play-bbc-radio-station-via-voice-control-6834993

Badge

Thanks, UKMedia, that’s good of you and I’ll look at those instructions.

BUT, can I just ask:  does operating the BBC through Alexa using Tune-in rather than the BBC skill allow one to ask Alexa to play not just “Radio 4”, say, but a particular programme, e.g. “Midweek” or “The World at One” or “From My Own Correspondent”.

I want to be able to ask Alexa to play one of those programmes, even if not currently on, and (especially in the case of the news) to play, or at least to be asked to play, today’s episode, not just the last episode being listened to.

Perhaps the tune-in method does allow that?  If so, wonderful!

Thanks

d

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, UKMedia, that’s good of you and I’ll look at those instructions.

BUT, can I just ask:  does operating the BBC through Alexa using Tune-in rather than the BBC skill allow one to ask Alexa to play not just “Radio 4”, say, but a particular programme, e.g. “Midweek” or “The World at One” or “From My Own Correspondent”.

I want to be able to ask Alexa to play one of those programmes, even if not currently on, and (especially in the case of the news) to play, or at least to be asked to play, today’s episode, not just the last episode being listened to.

Perhaps the tune-in method does allow that?  If so, wonderful!

Thanks

d

Yes, if it’s via a PodCast but not otherwise as far as I’m aware.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

all fixed now ?

say “alexa ask bbc to play radio 4”

works for me, is this recent ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

all fixed now ?

This is using the BBC skill rather than Tune In and requires the extra command ‘ask BBC’.  Also this won’t use the default speaker option set-up within Alexa.

My instructions via the link above resolves both of these issues. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

all fixed now ?

This is using the BBC skill rather than Tune In and requires the extra command ‘ask BBC’.  Also this won’t use the default speaker option set-up within Alexa.

My alexa’s are using the default speaker just fine, is this abnormal ?

or is it the Red Wine :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

all fixed now ?

My alexa’s are using the default speaker just fine, is this abnormal ?

or is it the Red Wine :) 

I haven’t checked the BBC skill for using the default speaker for a while sorry, it didn’t used to work. :)  Back to the wine! :)