Audio Actions not currently supported

• 15 February 2018
  • 13 replies

When I give Alexa a command on my Sonos One, for example "Alexa, Good Morning" she says "Audio actions are not currently supported on this device" but then strangely she carries out the associated action correctly, turning the lights on or off as expected. Has anyone else got this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I was getting the exact same experience. My “good morning” Alexa routine included reading the news. When I removed it, the message about audio actions not being supported stopped playing. When I added it back, the warning came back. It appears to be because the Sonos speakers can’t be used for non-music audio playback. I really hope they address this soon, so that the Sonos speakers can be used for non-music audio playback.
Worked it out, had a step for Alexa to say something, like “Welcome home”. Once I removed this step everything was fine.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Had the same issue. I wanted Alexa to give a weather update as part of my routine.
What’s odd is that these commands work generally. But not when in a routine?
Is this scheduled to be addressed?
Same issue. Couldn’t figure out why suddenly one was working and the first ones didn’t and that was the difference. Glad this explains it but an Amazon fix would be nice
Same issue. Why say that a product comes with amazon alexa if she cant do half the things they advertise.
Badge +1
I have same problem but i don't have any voice response included in routine.Beside command "lights" i added two more action "volume 0 " and " Volume 3" so i can quickly mute Echo when say annoying OK and after bring volume up(Brief mode still not available to all users in Canada) . I don't know why Sonos respond with "audio action not currently supported...
Similar here ... Same Alexa command from a very old echo works perfectly but turn my head to issue same to Sonos One - error results. About a year ago Sonos did an 'update' - this wiped out things like playing nature sounds, etc ... those commands that bridge between the Sonos part and the Alexa part. The issue is after Alexa finds an actionable item the Alexa part is done, but then the command of a spoken response is a re-open of the connection from Alexa to Sonos (to announce) ... and that's the part that was broken about a year ago. I've logged the error many moons ago - Sonos says it's an Amazon issue; Amazon says its a Sonos issue ... and I say its both of their issues because that attitude makes customers go to the competition (Google or otherwise ... it's not like there's only one solution). I was hoping a recent 'upgrade' would fix the issue but it has not. I'll try to remove everything and reinstall one room to see if the bottom line fixes it. Unlikely from what I've read - but worth a shot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Similar here ... Same Alexa command from a very old echo works perfectly but turn my head to issue same to Sonos One - error results. About a year ago Sonos did an 'update' - this wiped out things like playing nature sounds, etc ... those commands that bridge between the Sonos part and the Alexa part. The issue is after Alexa finds an actionable item the Alexa part is done, but then the command of a spoken response is a re-open of the connection from Alexa to Sonos (to announce) ... and that's the part that was broken about a year ago. I've logged the error many moons ago - Sonos says it's an Amazon issue; Amazon says its a Sonos issue ... and I say its both of their issues because that attitude makes customers go to the competition (Google or otherwise ... it's not like there's only one solution). I was hoping a recent 'upgrade' would fix the issue but it has not. I'll try to remove everything and reinstall one room to see if the bottom line fixes it. Unlikely from what I've read - but worth a shot.

Remember that an Echo is an Alexa Device and a Sonos One is an Alexa Enabled device. Also, some nature and sleep sounds now work:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-one-now-supports-many-more-popular-alexa-skills-6806792
Exactly the same problem as everybody else. I was really excited thinking I was getting a Sonos ONE - until it arrived and I realised just how crap it was.

To say that a Sonos ONE is an Alexa Enabled device is deliberately misleading. Sonos (if they were honest) should be saying: Sonos ONE with limited Amazon Alexa functionality. Surely the trading standards agency would have something to say about this under the 'Sale of Goods Act" as I'm sure SONOS ARE BREAKING THE LAW, they are deliberately miss selling their product and then when everyone complains they say "Oh didn't you read GET-OUT-CUAUSE #228985?"

There's no word from Sonos about weather this functionality is currently under development or not, weather they intend to develop these features or any sort of time-frame whatsoever.
Exactly the same problem as everybody else. I was really excited thinking I was getting a Sonos ONE - until it arrived and I realised just how crap it was.

To say that a Sonos ONE is an Alexa Enabled device is deliberately misleading. Sonos (if they were honest) should be saying: Sonos ONE with limited Amazon Alexa functionality. Surely the trading standards agency would have something to say about this under the 'Sale of Goods Act" as I'm sure SONOS ARE BREAKING THE LAW, they are deliberately miss selling their product and then when everyone complains they say "Oh didn't you read GET-OUT-CUAUSE #228985?"

There's no word from Sonos about weather this functionality is currently under development or not, weather they intend to develop these features or any sort of time-frame whatsoever.

'Alexa enabled device' is Amazon's term, not Sonos. I agree that it's vague, but the place to complain is with Amazon. Only echo devices have full voice functionality, even Amazon products like the fire tvs and tablets are alexa enabled and cannot do everything an echo can do. I'm sure some of the reasons are hardware related, some is just time to develop, while others is just Amazon wanted to keep some features to itself.

Periodically, Sonos does announce new features have been added to their alexa enabled products, you can see them in the Announcement forum...the latest one being 'announcements'. Sonos rarely gives out much information about what expected release dates or even what development it's working on, so I would not expect to hear much in this area.
Update to my previous post.

Go to Manage > Settings > Music Library > Advanced > Sort Folders By... and select Song Number. (Even though this was already selected, by repeating this process it seemed to fix the problem!)
Userlevel 1
have sonos confirmed if they are working on this?
This is an Alexa problem for some class of devices (undetermined). This isn't limited to Sonos, Eco Bee has the same issue reported as does the Alexa app on the iPhone. Try using the Alexa app to run the routine with your voice. Then run the same routine on the Alexa app using the play button next to the routine. Only voice activation gets the annoying message on the phone with no Sonos speaker involved.