Ask Alexa to play music twice via Spotify

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Whenever I ask Alexa to play music from Spotify she always says “now playing...” however there’s then silence. If I then repeat my request she says the same thing but the music does actually start playing - is there a fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Badge

Hi Krishma, I followed your steps but now I have a different issue. When instructed to play music via Alexa,

“This is XXXX from Spotify. Sorry that device is offline”

Diagnostic 1611887193

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Rascal23, thanks for your reply and for submitting a diagnostic. Upon checking the diagnostic, I’m seeing that you have access points and they are on different channels. Could be the reason why it’s not working well because it’s out of sync. Sometimes it’s okay even the access points are in different channels as long as the same IP address but since it’s causing you trouble you need to make sure they are all on the same channel. The first step to try and fix this is to reboot all the network devices (router, access points) and Sonos. Wait for 5-10 seconds then connect the router back to power. Once the internet is back, connect all the Sonos then try again. Submit another diagnostic if still the same. Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

Hey Krishma. Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve just tried to get my Sonos One to play music via Alexa whilst in the app. When Alexa says “this is XXXX from Spotify” the app brings up the album art. Then it disappears. When you ask Alexa again, the art pops up (and remains) and the music starts. 

Diagnostic 766106073

This issue has been happening for a few months - I think it’s related to the new Sonos app release. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Rascal23, thanks for reaching out here. Let me help you with your concern and it would be best if you can submit a diagnostic report first so we can check it on our end. Just reply to us with the confirmation number and let us know if there were some changes prior to this issue as well. We and the community are always here to help.

Badge

I have the same issue with both of my Sonos Ones and my Boost as well. 

Ask Alexa to play music. She acknowledges and says “Playing music by XXXXX from Spotify” then nothing. Ask again, and she’ll repeat “Playing music by XXXXX from Spotify” and just before she finishes saying it, the music begins. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks for the confirmation, @03397. That isolates our problem. You may want to check it with Amazon as well. Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Krishma M 

Yes I have the same issue with my Sonos one but only with Spotify. 

I have not used Amazon Music since I do not have a subscription. 

As I have already said, with Spotify I am having the same issue with Fire TV stick which has Alexa. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

If you search the net you will find that even Amazon Music is facing some times issues with Alexa!!

Hi @03397, are you experiencing it with your Sonos as well? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If you search the net you will find that even Amazon Music is facing some times issues with Alexa!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. If it’s doing the same thing even without Sonos, you’re right @03397, it’s between Alexa and Spotify. If there’s a way to try a different music service to check, that would be great. Just let us know here. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @David Batchelor, thanks for your response. How about talking and playing Spotify directly to your Amazon devices? Are you getting the same problem? 

I only have amazon devices that are linked to my Sonos, I don’t use any as standalone speakers so I can’t check. 03397 May be correct in that the problem lies in the relationship between Alexa and Spotify rather than Alexa and Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have the same issue on my Sonos One and I have faced this also on my Fire Tv Stick which has Alexa built in.

My guess here is that the issue lies with the combination of Alexa and Spotify. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @David Batchelor, thanks for your response. How about talking and playing Spotify directly to your Amazon devices? Are you getting the same problem? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, it happens on all my Alexa devices i.e.;

• Echo Dot linked to Sonos Five
  • Echo Spot linked to Sonos One
  • Alexa on Sonos One
  • Alexa on Sonos Move

When I ask Alexa to play anything on any of the above devices she responds with “now playing...” etc but then silence. If I ask again she repeats the same phrase but the music starts. I’m afraid I only use Spotify and Sonos Radio.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for reaching out, @David Batchelor, and for the assistance @UKMedia. It shows that you have a couple of speakers with microphone, is it happening to all of them? Can we try to do it one by one and also if possible, a different music service? Let us know how it goes. We’re here to help. Thanks! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just experienced again. Diagnostic 337353146

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There have been a fair few reports of this and I’ve experienced it occasionally but can’t reproduce it consistently.  Can you submit a diagnostic after it next happens and post the number in this thread and hopefully, someone from Sonos can investigate.