Answered

Arc Green Mute Status Light On When Using Alexa To Turn Off TV

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

When I turn off my Sony X900H using Alexa, the TV goes off but the green mute status light comes on the Arc and stays on. Anyone else having this issue? Any Advice? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 5 July 2020, 18:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @William_61,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It sounds like your Sony TV might be automatically muting your soundbar when you turn off the TV.

You may want to reach out to Sony to see if this feature can be adjusted or disabled. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Jean C and thank you for taking interest in my issue. The green mute status light only comes on when asking Alexa to turn off my TV. Interestingly, it does not have this issue when using the TV remote when turning off. I have seen that link you sent. From what I can tell, they are pointing the finger at my ‘audio system’ which would be the Sonos Arc. They are instructing to turn off the ‘Control for HDMI’ on the Arc, which from what I understand is not an option that I can do. 

I do have a case number open for this if you are interested. Sonos support had me run several tests with diagnostics included. I’d love for a fresh pair of eyes if you have a few minutes to check it out. It is case number: 01917554

Thanks so much again for your reply.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @William_61,

Turning off the HDMI control is not possible unless you change the TV connection on the Arc from HDMI/ARC to digital optical via the provided optical adapter.

The auto-muting feature on the Sony TV is not something that we can disable any other way.

You should still be able to turn the volume back up when selecting this room for music playback or when turning the TV back on for home theater audio. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Jean C. Thank you, but trying to avoid a green light always on 3 of my Sonos products when not watching or listening after using Alexa to turn off the TV. 

Also, any idea as to why it only occurs when turning off the TV using Alexa? When using the TV remote, it does not mute the Arc or leave the green mute light visible. Thanks again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @William_61,

The auto-muting feature on your Sony TV is triggered by the CEC connection between the Sonos system and Sony that Alexa uses to turn off the TV.

The only way to avoid this feature is to remove the HDMI/ARC -CEC connection between the two or to turn the TV off by other means.

Again, this is a feature built into your Sony TV and not something that we have direct control over.    

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Jean C.

I wanted to follow up with you regarding our conversation above. I am testing the latest Sonos software as part of the Beta Team. After the most recent update I noticed the green mute light no longer stays on the Arc and Surrounds after turning off the TV using Alexa. 

I thought you might want to know. Not sure what changed, but glad it did. Thanks again for your feedback. 

Hi, I am also having the muting issue with the Arc when my sony tv is turned off by Alexa. So.gar I have been unable to sort this out. Hopefully Sonos will release the update that appears to cure the issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Richii.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post, let me help and try to figure this out.

As per the recent suggestion above, please ensure that Sonos is up to date and running on the latest software version.

Doing research, I’ve found a similar thread with suggested workarounds that you might want to try, here is the link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/arc-with-sony-bravia-oled-tv-system-turned-off-in-mute-status-6843027

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi thanks for the reply, all the software is up to date both on my sonos system and app, the sony tv has the latest software too. I had a beam with the same set up on S2 with the gen 3 sub and 2 play 1's, the green light and muting did not happen when used with the beam setup, the problem started when I changed to the Arc. Again when turning of tv with the remote all is fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Richii.

Thanks for your response and sorry to hear that the suggested workaround didn’t work on your end.

As discussed on the earlier threads above:

The auto-muting feature on your Sony TV is triggered by the CEC connection between the Sonos system and Sony that Alexa uses to turn off the TV.

The only way to avoid this feature is to remove the HDMI/ARC -CEC connection between the two or to turn the TV off by other means.

Again, this is a feature built into your Sony TV and not something that we have direct control over.    

It’s best to reach out to Sony to see if this feature can be adjusted or disabled. 

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Hi not I am not convinced this is a Sony issue as stated earlier it was not a problem when using the beam with the same Tv and same Sonos kit...this started only when I changed from the beam to the Arc....

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Richii.

Thanks for your response and I totally understand your point on a customer’s perspective.

I’d personally suggest that it’s still best to give it a try and contact Sony, not because it is an issue on their end but because they are the expert when it comes to the TV’s configuration, and come up with the best recommendation they can provide.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.