Answered

Any future plan for Google Assistant Voice Control like Alexa

• 4 October 2017
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1
Is there any plan for the Sonos speakers to work with Google Voice Assistant like Alexa?
I am currently own several Play 5 speakers so can Sonos make that current product line to work with voice control as well (Alexa/Google Assistant/Siri/Cornata).
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 October 2017, 23:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

If you have google assistant on your android phone and spotify premium account linked to google assistant, you can use voice commands right now via your phone to play anything you like. e.g. " ok google play some swing music...." . You just have to have chosen the Sonos speaker as your device for playing music in the spotify app at the start of your session. I tried it today for the first time. No echo or google home device required. Its awesome...!!! well done SONOS Spotify and Google. Great teamwork.
You'll need one device that has a microphone array. Currently, that's either the Sonos One, or an Amazon Echo device. Not any of the other Sonos devices. Presumably, for Google Assistant to work, it will work with either the Sonos One, which has the necessary array, or a Google Home device that also has microphones.
Caveat: I don't work for Sonos, so my suppositions are pure conjecture.

I wouldn't expect a new Sonos PLAY:5 anytime real soon. The current one (gen 2) is only a year or two old. While it has microphones in it, there are only 2, and they are not sufficient for using voice commands, according to a post by Ryan S earlier today in another thread.

But yes, if you were to get a Sonos One, it would wirelessly command all of the other Sonos speakers in your setup, no matter whether they have a microphone inside or not. I have a Amazon Dot, and can control all of my 12 speakers right now, none of which currently have a microphone in them.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I wouldn't expect a new Sonos PLAY:5 anytime real soon. The current one (gen 2) is only a year or two old. While it has microphones in it, there are only 2, and they are not sufficient for using voice commands, according to a post by Ryan S earlier today in another thread.

But yes, if you were to get a Sonos One, it would wirelessly command all of the other Sonos speakers in your setup, no matter whether they have a microphone inside or not. I have a Amazon Dot, and can control all of my 12 speakers right now, none of which currently have a microphone in them.

Just a point to add, the new PlayOne cannot be used in a stereo pair with the existing play1. So if you are wanting to add voice control to a room which has two play1's, it is not as simple as replacing just one of them with the new PlayOne. Both would have to be replaced, or they would have to be independent zones/speakers. No grouping of new tech and old tech into stereo pairs.
My last Dot cost me $10 bundled with a FireTV. I think come Black Friday we will see just how far Amazon is willing to go with Dot pricing to battle the Google Home Mini.
I have 4 chromecasts (2 audio, 2 video) and a bunch of sonos (Play1, amps, connects). All Sonos except the Play1 are hardwired into a hub in my basement. When I use Google Music and go to cast I can see my available chromecasts of course but also all my Sonos that are on the same network including the Play1 which is not hardwired in. So I cast first to a certain room (cast to a Sonos) then I can use Google Assistant to voice control the music. Its not ideal like "OK Google, play this song IN THIS ROOM" but I can "OK Google, play this song by this artist" once I've already chosen the room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We are working with Google Assistant to bring their voice control to Sonos. No specifics to share today on when. All existing Sonos players will be controllable from Alexa, and other voice services as they come, but you will need something with a microphone array, such as the Sonos One.
Userlevel 1
What do you mean by microphone array? I don't mind to buy extra one if it works, however, I want to utilize the old model such as the current Play 5 that I owned.
Userlevel 1
So you meant. Let us say I am going to buy a Sonos One or a new Sonos Five (predictable that you are going to have soon after releasing Sonos One). I can group the Sonos One or Sonos Five together with my previous Player 5 in one room using Alexa or Google Assistant and they are still working together with wireless? I am asking because I am about to buy additional Sonos speakers for my home anyway.
Userlevel 1
Could it be possible to use the Google Assistant via your Android phone, e.g. "Hey Google. Play Tiësto on Sonos"?

Just a point to add, the new PlayOne cannot be used in a stereo pair with the existing play1. So if you are wanting to add voice control to a room which has two play1's, it is not as simple as replacing just one of them with the new PlayOne. Both would have to be replaced, or they would have to be independent zones/speakers. No grouping of new tech and old tech into stereo pairs.

Or you can add an Echo Dot for $50 (or $130 for a three pack).
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think it's feasible that they would release a new voice controlled Play Five and continue to sell the existing Play:5. Some people are excited about voice control, but a lot of people are uneasy about having such devices in their home. So it would make sense to offer two options to people.

Or you can add an Echo Dot for $50

On sale for $45 right now...
I have 4 chromecasts (2 audio, 2 video) and a bunch of sonos (Play1, amps, connects). All Sonos except the Play1 are hardwired into a hub in my basement. When I use Google Music and go to cast I can see my available chromecasts of course but also all my Sonos that are on the same network including the Play1 which is not hardwired in. So I cast first to a certain room (cast to a Sonos) then I can use Google Assistant to voice control the music. Its not ideal like "OK Google, play this song IN THIS ROOM" but I can "OK Google, play this song by this artist" once I've already chosen the room.

Hi. Awesome. Can you clarify? Use google play music app then cast? I see my chromecasts but I don't see my Sonos inside the cast menu of google play music app. Where do you see the sonos? And do you cast to a sonos? Thanks
Could it be possible to use the Google Assistant via your Android phone, e.g. "Hey Google. Play Tiësto on Sonos"?

Any assistant should refuse to play Tiësto . /s
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
We are working with Google Assistant to bring their voice control to Sonos. No specifics to share today on when. All existing Sonos players will be controllable from Alexa, and other voice services as they come, but you will need something with a microphone array, such as the Sonos One.

Is there any updates on the Google Assistant coming to the Sonos One and for Sonos to support Google home devices and commands, since the above from October 4th?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
In a word No. All you will get is that they are working on it. It is rare for Sonos, or any similar sized company to give out exact dates. My guess, and it is just a guess would be no sooner than spring.