Announcement routine with Alexa not working

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have two Sonos speakers with Alexa (beam and one gen2).

I've created a routine with an announcement to be played on all the speakers at a certain time, but it is not working. also testing the routine is not making any announcement. If a do a manual announcement it is working correctly. 

I have seen other threads about this problem but I haven’t find a solution.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I've created a routine with an announcement to be played on all the speakers at a certain time, but it is not working. also testing the routine is not making any announcement. If a do a manual announcement it is working correctly. 

This works fine for me or both Sonos and Alexa devices.  Does your Beam respond to ‘Alexa.  What’s the time?’

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This works fine for me or both Sonos and Alexa devices.  Does your Beam respond to ‘Alexa.  What’s the time?’

Yes, both works when you ask the time or any other question 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you Disable then Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App and retest.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’ve tried but no luck… same as before

It seems Sonos Staff are aware of the issue in some regions. See here:

It has been mentioned that it’s Amazon than need to fix it, so I would let Amazon Support Staff know about the matter and then maybe check for any App updates and fingers-x’d🤞Amazon go onto fix the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

It has been mentioned that it’s Amazon than need to fix it, so I would let Amazon Support Staff know about the matter and then maybe check for any App updates and fingers-x’d🤞Amazon go onto fix the issue.

I’ve contacted Amazon and I’ve been called back to better understand the problem. the guy send a ticket to development to understand if this problem depends on Amazon or on Sonos and he said that probably this particular routine is not supported on Sonos. that’s it for now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve contacted Amazon and I’ve been called back to better understand the problem. the guy send a ticket to development to understand if this problem depends on Amazon or on Sonos and he said that probably this particular routine is not supported on Sonos. that’s it for now!

Strange that it still works on my set-up...

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

could be related to the country? I’m in Italy

could be related to the country? I’m in Italy

It doesn’t work for me either, I’m in the UK, but I understand some US users mention it’s working for them, so maybe it’s a European issue with Alexa. I can’t even see the Sonos devices listed in the routine. See animation attached.

Sorry the animation isn’t very clear as it’s limited by the 5mb upload limit allowed here but here is a screenshot too…

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Sorry the animation isn’t very clear as it’s limited by the 5mb upload limit allowed here but here is a screenshot too…

In my list I can see just the One and not the Beam. I’ve tried selecting “all devices” or Sonos One but it doesn’t work in any case

The last entry in my image above, despite its name, is not an actual Sonos speaker component per se - it’s the Alexa component of a Beam (gen1), but why that single device is listed when I have dozens of other Sonos speakers with Alexa components enabled, is just one of life’s mysteries🤔? All the other devices shown in the list are echo dots only. I suspect there is still perhaps a ‘bug’ here in the Alexa App.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The last entry in my image above, despite its name, is not an actual Sonos speaker component per se - it’s the Alexa component of a Beam (gen1), but why that single device is listed when I have dozens of other Sonos speakers with Alexa components enabled, is just one of life’s mysteries🤔? All the other devices shown in the list are echo dots only. I suspect there is still perhaps a ‘bug’ here in the Alexa App.

the guy from Alexa support told me that some routines don’t work with third party devices. I told him that manual announcement do work, but he said that routines are another matter. it’s strange to me because it’s just an automation of something that is already working, so instead of me pushing a button it’s a script that push the button for me… it should work! but I see there is something else here, the fact that speakers aren’t showing up is a mystery.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well it can’t geographical, as my Sonos devices are listed and my test routine still works!  Very strange. The action I’m using is Send Announcement.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Well it can’t geographical, as my Sonos devices are listed and my test routine still works!  Very strange. The action I’m using is Send Announcement.

do you have Echo or other first party Alexa speakers?

How are your Sonos speakers connected? LAN or wi fi? I’m asking that because in my case the One shows up as destination, and it is connected on wi fi, while the beam is cabled and it doesn't show up.

I’m using Send Announcement too

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

do you have Echo or other first party Alexa speakers?

How are your Sonos speakers connected? LAN or wi fi? I’m asking that because in my case the One shows up as destination, and it is connected on wi fi, while the beam is cabled and it doesn't show up.

I’m using Send Announcement too

I have Echo Dot’s and Echo Shows.  I’m testing on a Sonos One and Sonos Beam for the voice command and outputting on a Sonos One , Sonos One SL, Beam and Arc, as well as all of the Echo devices.  My Sonos devices are connected via a mixture of ethernet cable and Sonos Net connections.  All of my Sonos and Echo devices are outputting the Announcement.

Having the same issue.
From the post above it sounds like this has been a known issue but for the past year but is working for some people. And no updates since then?
I bought a Sonos One just for routines but without the announcement feature it really it really isn’t working for me without that. I don’t know if I should return it and try again or just return it.