Question

Amazon Unlimited Music, an exiting Echo Show, adding Sonos 1 (with built-in Echo functionality).

• 5 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge
I currently own two Sonos 5 speakers and use an Amazon Echo Show to stream Amazon Music Unlimited via either or both speakers. No problems there. I'd like to add two smaller Sonos 1 speakers (with the built-in Amazon Echo functionality) to other rooms of my home. I think I'd prefer the Sonos 1s (rather than the Sonos 1 Play) so I can use voice commands at a distance from my Echo Show. But I'm open to suggestions (i.e. Is there a reason why I should I just get Sonos 1 Play speakers). If anyone has added Sonos 1s to an existing Alexa-driven system, what are the implications with regard to the Amazon Unlimited Subscription? Will I have to upgrade to the more expensive family plan to use what are essentially multiple Echo devices to stream Amazon Music? Or if I am only streaming Amazon Music via a single device at a time will I be OK with my current plan (just the simple non-family Unlimited Plan)?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Neurad1

As long as you use Sonos groups to provide your multi-room, there is no impact to your plan. The grouping will need to be done via the app as the option to group speakers via Voice Control is not yet available.
I'll be honest, you've confused me with all of the names you've given the speakers. There's two that I think you're talking about, the PLAY:1, which is the same one that has been sold for several years, and the new Sonos One.

I've not added a Sonos One to my current system yet, but I can't think of any reason at all why it would change your Amazon account status any more than streaming on your PLAY:5 speakers has.

However, I'm a single guy, and I've not tried streaming more than one stream at a time on my current system. If that is your goal, you may indeed have to change subscriptions, I don't beleive the standard "Amazon Prime member" music subscription allows more than one thing to be playing at a time. You can, however, stream that one stream on as many speakers as you like.