Question

Amazon Music Unlimited Family with 5 Amps & 4 Sonos Ones Assistance

• 10 June 2020
  • 2 replies

My system consists of 5 Amps & 4 Sonos One speakers using Alexa for voice commands.

I am looking for feedback on how to simplify starting music with voice commands.
We have access to Amazon Music Unlimited's Family Plan.

Goal is to allow for the below scenario say example users 1,2,3:

User 1: (Kitchen Sonos One) - play Queen
User 2: (LR Sonos One) - play Elton John
User 3: (Master BR Sonos One) - play Michael Bolton
User 4: (Attic Sonos One) - play Celine Dion on Attic Deck
 - Attic deck are 2 speakers connected to a Sonos Amp
 - current Sonos One when issuing command will say playing a playlist you might like for artist xyz

If Amazon Unlimited does not support picking specific artist/songs then what service could I use? Preferably the guests/users would not need to use the Sonos App and can do everything via voice.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m not sure about Amazon, but Spotify premium family plan will not let you start different streams through voice control using the same voice assistant simultaneously. E.g. when a stream is started on Sonos One in Room A with GA and other user will do the same in Room B, the music will stop in Room A. You can only link one user account of the family plan to GA in your Sonos household, and then it works like Spotify Connect (i.e. only one active device per user instead of multiple parallel streams through the Sonos app). Quite frustrating. For that reason I have set-up Alexa on my one kid’s Sonos One, and GA on my other kid’s Sonos One as somewhat of a workaround. Not optimal though and kind of defeats the multiroom concept. 

I’m not sure about Amazon, but Spotify premium family plan will not let you start different streams through voice control using the same voice assistant simultaneously. E.g. when a stream is started on Sonos One in Room A with GA and other user will do the same in Room B, the music will stop in Room A. You can only link one user account of the family plan to GA in your Sonos household, and then it works like Spotify Connect (i.e. only one active device per user instead of multiple parallel streams through the Sonos app). Quite frustrating. For that reason I have set-up Alexa on my one kid’s Sonos One, and GA on my other kid’s Sonos One as somewhat of a workaround. Not optimal though and kind of defeats the multiroom concept. 

This is really frustrating and seems like an oversight by music services / sonos. I am not so much concerned about younger tech savy folks using the sonos app to control music, but trying to make it as easy for the older folks to listen to music if we aren’t there.