Question

Amazon Echo Input

Badge +3
To enable a couple of play 5's 2nd gen with Alexa and potentially more speakers if I add them (not necessarily Sonos One) and also a Sonos Connect plugged into a record player do I have to get the Echo Dot or does the Echo Input work in exactly the same way but just doesn't have a little speaker built into it. It seems the Echo Input only has hard wire or Bluetooth while the Echo Dot can connect to Sonos wirelessly. Is this correct?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

You would need the Dot. Sonos only plays the music, you would need the speaker on the Dot for Alexa's responses. You could use the Input connected to the Line-in on the Connect or Play:5, but that is not optimal because of ducking and other issues.
Badge +3
thanks jgatie, so Alexa's voice responses come back to you from the dot but the result i.e comes back through the Sonos speakers? can you enable it so that it all comes back through the Sonos?
Badge +3
what is the voice recognition distance approximately on a dot?
thanks jgatie, so Alexa's voice responses come back to you from the dot but the result i.e comes back through the Sonos speakers? can you enable it so that it all comes back through the Sonos?

Yes, the music plays over Sonos and everything else via the Dot, and no, you cannot set it to come through Sonos.

I have one in a loft bedroom and it hears quite fine from 20'+ away. Of course that depends on what kind of ambient noise there is in the room. If there is loud background noise, you need to raise your voice above it.
Badge +3
great, thanks. Sonos One are the only Alexa built in speakers aren't they at the moment?

If you request to play music, the music plays on Sonos (assuming you've set it up that way with Alexa groups). That's not the same as 'result'.

And no, this isn't configurable. If you really, really, want to hear Alexa on your Sonos speakers, then you would not enable the Sonos skill, and plug the output of the echo directly to your play:5 or Connect. You've essentially using your Sonos as a dumb speaker at that point though.

That's going to vary based on the current noise level of the room, physical obstructions, and at what height you place the echo. I'd say you are good at 10 ft with no noise or obstruction at around 4 ft height. 5 ft with loud noise.
great, thanks. Sonos One are the only Alexa built in speakers aren't they at the moment?

..and the Beam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

FYI - The Amazon web site says that Sonos speakers aren't supported by the Eco Input device: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Echo-Input-Black-Alexa-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B07CH6JKW3/ref=lp_12598575031_1_14?s=amazon-devices&ie=UTF8&qid=1556099822&sr=1-14

I’m glad I didn’t read this earlier. I was able to get my Sonos One working with my new Echo Input. I had previously used it with an Echo Dot so it was already set up in my Alexa app. Alexa’s voice comes across fine on the speaker.

I’m glad I didn’t read this earlier. I was able to get my Sonos One working with my new Echo Input. I had previously used it with an Echo Dot so it was already set up in my Alexa app. Alexa’s voice comes across fine on the speaker.

Can you share please how you did it? I’m about to return this Sonos One if I can’t get my routines to sound through this with the input. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you share please how you did it? I’m about to return this Sonos One if I can’t get my routines to sound through this with the input. 

What’s your issue with your routines?

What’s your issue with your routines?

The issue is that I want the Alexa audio from the routine to play through the Sonos speaker. It obviously is not a big deal to have the weather play though Sonos however I have an evening routine which ends by playing audio from a sleep skill which I particularly want to come thru the Sonos. I can’t even run it through the Sonos separate from the skill because there are one or two audio prompts before the skill continues playing. The Echo Input should be perfect as the go between for the but darned it I can figure it out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It is possible to include an Action to output audio within Alexa Routines to any of your Sonos devices. Please follow these steps to create a very simple Routine but the steps are easy to adapt and include within existing Alexa Routines:

1 Open the Alexa App and click on the menu 3 bars in the top;
2 Select Routines in the Menu;
3 Click the ‘+’ sign in the top right corner of the App;
4 Click ‘When this happens’ and then ‘Voice’;
5 Enter ‘audio test’ – it’s still best to not use capitals;
6 Click ‘Add action’ and then click ‘Play’;
7 Type in ‘Ed Sheeran On [Sonos Room Name]’;
8 Click ‘From’ and then select a source;
9 If you need a ‘Timer’ please click ‘Set Time’;
10 Click ‘Save’

This will now work via the command ‘Alexa, Audio Test’