Answered

Amazon Echo / Dot and Sonos Integration

• 14 September 2016
  • 190 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
So with Sonos integrating Amazon Echo within their eco system a couple of questions:

- If I install an Amazon Echo Dot in each room that I have Sonos speakers in will I be able to assign that particular dot to that rooms speakers? For example, I don't want to ask Alexa a question and then have all of the households Sonos speakers respond.

- I assume using the Dots that as well as having full control of Sonos Music system I will also have full use of the usual Amazon Echo services i.e. Alexa, what's the weather forecast, and it will use that particular rooms Sonos speakers to respond?

The potential is quite compelling if it's implemented well but good to get some clarification.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 October 2017, 17:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

190 replies

I agree jgatie....to state the obvious.

To be fair though, the comparison wasn't really dot to P:1, but the new Echo ($100) to P:1 which is a lot better sound, but still not a P:1 if reviews are to be believed. Probably much more exceptable to a lot of potential customers. Sonos would then need to focus on home theatre integration, stereo pairs, the higher end speaker options, and more music sources as the differentiaton.
You don't need a speaker with built-in microphones to voice control it. Almost any single Alexa device, like the free Amazon app for Android & iPhones will let you control all your existing Sonos players.

Separate the voice/audio user interface from the things being controlled.
Badge +1
I agree jgatie....to state the obvious.

To be fair though, the comparison wasn't really dot to P:1, but the new Echo ($100) to P:1 which is a lot better sound, but still not a P:1 if reviews are to be believed. Probably much more exceptable to a lot of potential customers. Sonos would then need to focus on home theatre integration, stereo pairs, the higher end speaker options, and more music sources as the differentiaton.

Thanks. I even stated in my post that there is a clear sound quality difference. The point of me mentioning the Dot in the comparison is that it's at least an option. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I liked the idea of maybe putting a Dot in a closet. But I would never consider using it as music source in a larger space.
Badge +1

Lastly, Sonos doesn't have to win. They don't have to have to most sales or largest % of the market. They only need to be profitable.

That I agree with. I guess time will tell.
Badge +1
You don't need a speaker with built-in microphones to voice control it. Almost any single Alexa device, like the free Amazon app for Android & iPhones will let you control all your existing Sonos players.

Separate the voice/audio user interface from the things being controlled.

I don't think it's just the voice control of the music that people are buying the built-in microphone speakers for.

Plus, if I understand your recommendation correctly, I'm not sure it's any different than just using the Sonos app to control the music. It does offer the voice control. But you still have to use an app to get to it.

I don't think it's just the voice control of the music that people are buying the built-in microphone speakers for.

Plus, if I understand your recommendation correctly, I'm not sure it's any different than just using the Sonos app to control the music. It does offer the voice control. But you still have to use an app to get to it.

What other value does a microphone enabled Sonos speaker provide? All I can think of is possibly being both an Alexa device as well as a Google Home (and so on) device at some point in the future.

True play 2.0 with the farfield mics?

An always-on Alexa device? Eufy Genie is $35, and Echo Dots range between $35 & $50 if one wants to have many listening devices, but then ESP becomes a big deal.

Please, if I'm missing something, give me a clue about it.
The One page is live on the Sonos website store
Badge +1
This is awesome. owned a few echos, but just bought a dot to control my sonos arsenal. match made in heaven IMO.

Not interested in the integrated mic/speaker unit, but could see a bunch of folks new to sonos go for the higher end speaker version of alexa. will be a nice gateway drug for sonos products. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We can mark this request/question as answered now! Alexa integration is now live with our beta skill for Amazon Alexa. Check out the announcement here. Also, there's some info on the Sonos One here.
Badge +1
Way to go Sonos! I'm glad you saw the writing on the wall, even if many posters on here did not.
We might even get the firmware update itself!

And we did.
Speaking of interesting things, Kumar, did you see this?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/04/amazons-echo-india-japan/
Is there anyone else out there who's disappointed in the "integration"? Maybe I read too much into the 8/30/16 Sonos/Amazon press release. I expected more.

The implementation in the Alexa skill, and in the Sonos One, just uses voice to redirect Alexa's music to Sonos's speakers. Alexa isn't really integrated into Sonos. You still need an app for everything else Sonos does.

It was nice of Sonos to help Amazon make Alexa sound better. But are they interested in using voice to control their own product?
Badge +1
Is there anyone else out there who's disappointed in the "integration"? Maybe I read too much into the 8/30/16 Sonos/Amazon press release. I expected more.

I am a little disappointed that the multiroom integration isn't completely there yet. From what I can tell, I can control Sonos via the Alexa app, and my Echo and Sonos will both play music. However, they will not play the same thing at the same time. Nor can I add Echo as a device in the Sonos app.
My suspicion is that you'll never see that kind of functionality, due to the disparate ways in which the two devices work.