Question

Amazon Echo, Dot and Home System query

• 26 December 2017
  • 6 replies

I wanted to get a answer to a couple of questions I have with the Sonos/Echo/Dot integration:

I already have an Echo which is currently in the bedroom and am thinking of expanding the home system to include my current home cinema system, 2 other Play 1's and possible another Dots/Echo, but am unsure of the setup.

Will I be able to setup a home system that comprises of Echo's and Play 1's that are assigned to specific rooms, will they function the same as if I just has Play 1's in each room?

Do I need a Sonos Connect to add my home cinema into the system, or can I just add a dot to it now and have that connect it into it? (Dot connected to the Amp?)

Any help appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Many thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time.

From above and if I understand correctly, you can't use the Amazon Echo as a speaker with a Sonos home system, is that correct?

No, you can't output or group Echo devices with 3rd party speakers.

My current Home Cinema System is not Sonos and not connected to the wifi in any way.

In that case you would need a Connect Amp to output to your Cinema System

As for Plex, yes you can via the Plex skill have access to your local library via an Echo Dot but not from a Sonos One. Sorry for any confusion.
Thats great info, appreciate that

Maybe I will get a Sonos One then I can have the integration
Hi. I have multiple Connect:amps and have just bought multiple echo dots solely to control my Sonos kit because I was under the impression that it was now possible to group Alexa devices and Sonos devices precisely so that I wouldn’t have to specify a location name - i.e. an echo dot in the kitchen can be set up such that it controls the Sonos device called kitchen, echo dot in the master bedroom ditto etc. etc. The latest answer on this thread seems to suggest otherwise? Thanks.
No, it is not possible to use Alexa groups containing Sonos or any other 3rd party speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I wanted to get a answer to a couple of questions I have with the Sonos/Echo/Dot integration:

I already have an Echo which is currently in the bedroom and am thinking of expanding the home system to include my current home cinema system, 2 other Play 1's and possible another Dots/Echo, but am unsure of the setup.

To use Voice Control with your existing Sonos system, you just need an Echo device. Is your current Home Cinema system Sonos or another manufacturer? To set-up, just follow the instructions in this article:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4158/?_ga=2.113799431.1095743978.1506552577-1491669311.1488879254&_gac=1.12699205.1513438473.CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo36CbdZtg66i3wMcDJKvFD7Xk_0O62ZmsCjpuschVjtghxDfD1ZepUhoC9IcQAvD_BwE

Will I be able to setup a home system that comprises of Echo's and Play 1's that are assigned to specific rooms, will they function the same as if I just has Play 1's in each room?

To get our terminology correct the Sonos One is the new Alexa enabled device and the Play:1 is the original player without Alexa. Yes, if you place an Echo Dot in each room that you currently have a Play 1 then you'll be able to control Sonos via voice commands. I suggest that you use the naming convention Room Name + Device Type for your devices. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot to avoid duplicate names. The command would then be 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos', this would stream from your default music service set-up within the Alexa App. (Please note that Alexa can NOT control your local music library.)

The best way to proceed as you have an Echo Dot, is to

1/ Rename your devices in the Alexa and Sonos App if required;
2/ Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app on an Android or iOS device and then follow the instructions to link your Sonos and Amazon accounts;
3/ Select Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices>Discover

...and you are all set-up. 🙂
Many thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time.

From above and if I understand correctly, you can't use the Amazon Echo as a speaker with a Sonos home system, is that correct?

My current Home Cinema System is not Sonos and not connected to the wifi in any way.

I am also confused now on the comment the Alexa cannot control my local music library, I thought that I had read that I could setup a Plex connection and control it through that?