Alexa with Sonos in multiple homes

• 14 October 2017
  • 24 replies

I have two homes with various Sonos devices. I set up the Alexa/Sonos integration in one home, which worked great. But now I'm in the second and want to add the devices in that home. Discover in the Alexa App is not finding them. Is this a supported configuration? If so, what do I need to do to make it work? If not, please add it to the wishlist!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

I just had this same issue today. Unfortunately, this only works at one location at a time. I even have the same WiFi network ssid and login at both locations. You need to disable the skill, then re-enable the skill and rediscover the speakers.
Thanks. Hopefully they'll enable multi-location at some point soon.
same problem. One work-around I saw somewhere was getting a second Amazon account and switcing to that account for the second house, but that obviously isn't ideal. All my other devices (lights, thermostats, etc.), regardless of which house they are in, appear as Alexa devices and work fine, so it seems like its Sonos specific.
Badge
I just ran into the same issue. Really disappointed. I don’t want to have to switch account as we quite often have family members at both locations. Hope they fix it.
Ugh, hit this issue too. Hoping this gets fixed as separately having Sonos in multiple homes, and Alex in multiple homes, works just fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
This is a hard problem, I can tell you, if you use the same Amazon account in both locations. My Skill still cannot support this configuration without me manually editing the underlying database every time the customer switches homes.

Suggest using a second Amazon account in the meantime.
Have the same issue - hopefully this will be fixed soon
Same issue please fix
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Correct Sonos don't currently support multi locations with the same account. The recommended approach is to create two separate Sonos accounts (Consider them location rather than person specific) and link them to different Amazon accounts.
Same Issue! Some speakers at home, some at work. I really don't want to juggle accounts.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Don't need separate Sonos accounts only separate Amazon accounts.
I too just discovered this problem. I have multiple houses. All with Sonos throughout. A separate Amazon account for each to be able to use Echo with Sonos. Really?
Just bought a Sonos One (my tenth unit), and found the same problem. Alexa cannot handle my two locations with Sonos. When I started to enrich with Sonos my holiday home, I couldn’t move my playlists to my new location. Lots of screen captures and manual work. Now this. Sad. Hope they handle it in a new update soon.
Does anyone know if this problem exists even if one buys the sonos with alexa integrated? Does one still have to activate the skills and therefore have to have two separate accounts to have it work in two different households?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have one account both houses. My Alexa in the other house I use the same account as my main house. Therefore, the Alexas in the vacation house show in the Alexa app even at home. I can drop in on my Alexas at the other house (nice as I have an Alexa Show at both locations so I can check up on the kitchen or speak to a friend if they are borrowing the house for a weekend).
Has this now been fixed?
Has this now been fixed?
It's on Amazon to 'fix' it.
Yes, that's what Sonos told me. I've tweeted Amazon a few times before, but they ignore it...
Yes, that's what Sonos told me. I've tweeted Amazon a few times before, but they ignore it...
You can resort to a workaround by creating a second Amazon Account for the second location.
Surely Sonos and Amazon will not want to fix this issue, as then a user could share an Amazon Account and it’s associated streaming music services on Sonos between family members, friends, neighbours, mates at the pub etc.

I think Amazon would most probably want its customers to have one music subscription service per Sonos location, rather than a 'one to many' type of relationship.
Surely Sonos and Amazon will not want to fix this issue, as then a user could share an Amazon Account and it’s associated streaming music services on Sonos between family members, friends, neighbours, mates at the pub etc.

I think Amazon would most probably want its customers to have one music subscription service per Sonos location, rather than a 'one to many' type of relationship.

Services like spotify know when you have 2 iterations of the player going and kicks the other person out.

Would you share your Amazon account details with mates - so they can buy a bunch of stuff on your card?

Services like spotify know when you have 2 iterations of the player going and kicks the other person out.

Would you share your Amazon account details with mates - so they can buy a bunch of stuff on your card?

Well if you wanted, you can share an Amazon account and pay a year up front for their streaming music service and delete the payment methods on the Amazon Account... it’s not a thing I would want to do personally, as a law abiding citizen, but not everyone is law abiding.

I have heard of folks sharing Netflix accounts, in this way, in the past, but again it’s not something I would do.

The ability might exist to cut off a music stream when another one starts, but that would not please my children at home when my wife and I were away at the holiday home.

I’m just not convinced it’s in the best interest of Amazon to implement the option to stream a single music subscription to multiple Sonos households.
[quote=Ken_Griffiths][quote=Jamiensurrey]

Would you share your Amazon account details with mates - so they can buy a bunch of stuff on your card?[/quote

Well if you wanted, you can share an Amazon account and pay a year up front for their streaming music service and delete the payment methods on the Amazon Account... it’s not a thing I would want to do personally, as a law abiding citizen, but not everyone is law abiding.

I have heard of folks sharing Netflix accounts, in this way, in the past, but again it’s not something I would do.

The ability might exist to cut off a music stream when another one starts, but that would not please my children at home when my wife and I were away at the holiday home.

I’m just not convinced it’s in the best interest of Amazon to implement the option to stream a single music subscription to multiple Sonos households.[/quote]

You could be right as Amazon are ignoring me again on twitter. They normally respond if its about a delivery gone missing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I can use my Amazon Prime account and Alexa voice control to stream music to any Echo that is linked to my account. Location doesn't matter. But only one stream at a time so if I my wife tries to stream at her parents while I'm streaming at home it will alert her that Prime is already streaming on another device.

I already have a Sonos system in my house with an Echo and Echo Dot for Alexa voice control. Works great. When I add a Sonos One to my parents house and then set it up with Alexa voice control it will work for that location. However, Alexa will no longer control the Sonos speakers in my house. I can still use Amazon Prime as a source for streaming music, but it must be controlled with the Sonos app rather than Alexa.