Answered

Alexa will not stop playing or pause

• 3 August 2019
  • 94 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a Sonos Beam in my living room in a group with two Gen 1 Sonos One speakers and a Sonos Sub. I have had Alexa enabled since I initially setup this system.

All had been working well but suddenly, Alexa will not stop or pause playing by voice command. I can say "Alexa, play NPR" and it will respond properly. I can say "Alex Louder" and "Alex Lower" and the volume will adjust. But when I say "Alexa Stop" (which is what I've been saying since day one) or "Alexa Pause" it will simply make the command chime and keep playing.

Also, the Beam is working properly but in the Sonos app, I don't specifically see the Beam listed as a speaker. I think it might simply be labeled "Living Room?" I'm not sure if I should see the Beam specifically?

I tried to remove Alexa and reactivate it but I got completely confused and I'm not sure what I accomplished.

I'm now back to square one, with the same symptoms as described above.

I have an Echo Dot in another room that responds normally to Stop and Pause commands.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 4 August 2019, 10:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

I also just did the diagnostic report as mentioned above with ref 923158816
Thanks
Userlevel 1
I am having the same issue when using Alexa to play Spotify on my Sonos 1 Speakers.
I have six speakers.

"I can't skip to the next song"

Happens on playlists and albums. Will work for the first few minutes but then after a couple of songs have played, she can no longer skip to the next song.

This happens on individual speakers and on speaker groups.
Same problem
Badge
All seems like it’s working again now. Yay!
All seems like it’s working again now. Yay!
Yep it seems mine is also.
Alexa now no longer accepts cancel to stop the music but it does now accept stop instead.
Id love to know what caused the issue
“Alexa stop“ just starting working for me again today. I haven’t changed anything!
I have the same problem. alexa is not skiping songs.
very frustrating
Badge

Having the same issue - appeared out of nowhere. 

“Alexa Cancel” does NOT work for me, nor does “Alexa Stop” or “Alexa Pause”, but “Alexa Pause MUSIC” or “Alexa Stop MUSIC” does work. 

Maddening how things that once worked flawlessly can seemingly spontaneously malfunction. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Same problem, with my Sonos 1. Can’t find any command to stop/pause/cancel, so have to do so via the Sonos App

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The first thing to do is Disable then Enable the Sonos Skill within the Alexa App.  Can you confirm if the issue persists after you have tried this?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yes, raised a ticket with technical support and this is now resolved. Deactivated the skill after removing Alexa from the Sonos One. Reenabled both and it now workd

Badge

Yes, raised a ticket with technical support and this is now resolved. Deactivated the skill after removing Alexa from the Sonos One. Reenabled both and it now workd

I’m having similar problem - playing a playlist from Apple Music on my Sonos One and it won’t respond to anything; tried pause, stop, set volume to 1, turn it down, turn it up... 

please confirm which technical support you raised this with? Sonos or Alexa? 
I will do the same and post any updates I get. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’m having similar problem - playing a playlist from Apple Music on my Sonos One and it won’t respond to anything; tried pause, stop, set volume to 1, turn it down, turn it up... 

please confirm which technical support you raised this with? Sonos or Alexa? 
I will do the same and post any updates I get. 

It was with Sonos

Badge

I’ve got the exact same problem. It used to work though, but all of a sudden Alexa is not stopping anymore. I tried “stop”, “pause”, “cancel” with and without room names: it just won’t work. I’ve received a new One and set it up in the dining room: it doesn’t work either. The beam attached to the TV also acts weird: it stops when I switch the TV off, but then starts playing the TV sound (with the TV off) 5 seconds later.

I tried all sorts of stuff: removing Alexa from all my Ones and from the Beam, deactivating the skill, etc. Still doesn’t work...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi 

Can you open the Sonos App>Settings>Services>Amazon Alexa and then select each product in turn and remove Alexa.  Power down each device and then repeat add this time add Alexa to each device.  Let us know how you get on.

Badge

Using the Sonos app on my iPhone, I went into Settings/Services/Voice and removed Alexa from all devices. I powered off my 3 One’s (2 of them are paired), my Beam and 2 Play:1’s paired for 5:1, my Bridge and my Connect. I closed the app, powered on all the devices, opened the app and added Alexa back to the Beam, the paired One’s and the other One. And … it still doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hmmm. If you ask Alexa, what is the time? Does she answer correctly?

Badge

Yes

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if this is a duplicate IP address issue. Can you power down these devices, allowing to boot before moving to the next:

- Router

- Any wired network devices

- Any wired Sonos devices

- Any other Sonos devices

- All other network attached devices.

Badge

My Sonos Bridge is wired to the router via ethernet. All other Sonos devices are wireless into the Bridge (i.e. if I switch the Bridge off, they cannot be accessed).

All Sonos devices have a static IP address going from 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.207.

I’ve switched off router and Sonos devices, then back on one at a time, starting with the router, then the Bridge, Connect, Beam, 2 Sonos Play:1’s, 3 Sonos One’s. They all come up with their own IP address as expected.

… And “Alexa, stop” still doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi.  Okay, can you submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread?

Badge

Done - from the mobile app.

Ref. number: 1646197812

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please see this article:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Badge

Thanks for your help UKMedia!! Really appreciate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your help UKMedia!! Really appreciate.

No probs :) Sonos staff should investigate this pretty soon.