Answered

Alexa will not stop playing or pause

• 3 August 2019
  • 94 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a Sonos Beam in my living room in a group with two Gen 1 Sonos One speakers and a Sonos Sub. I have had Alexa enabled since I initially setup this system.

All had been working well but suddenly, Alexa will not stop or pause playing by voice command. I can say "Alexa, play NPR" and it will respond properly. I can say "Alex Louder" and "Alex Lower" and the volume will adjust. But when I say "Alexa Stop" (which is what I've been saying since day one) or "Alexa Pause" it will simply make the command chime and keep playing.

Also, the Beam is working properly but in the Sonos app, I don't specifically see the Beam listed as a speaker. I think it might simply be labeled "Living Room?" I'm not sure if I should see the Beam specifically?

I tried to remove Alexa and reactivate it but I got completely confused and I'm not sure what I accomplished.

I'm now back to square one, with the same symptoms as described above.

I have an Echo Dot in another room that responds normally to Stop and Pause commands.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 4 August 2019, 10:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

I’ve got the exact same problem with my Sonos Beam, started about two weeks ago and driving me crazy.
Badge
Have run into exactly the same problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Best option first is to Disable the Sonos Skill and then Enable it again in the Alexa App. If the problem persists, please power down the Beam for 5 secs and then power back on.

If the second option works, I suggest that you open the settings web page for your router and reserve the IP address for your Sonos devices. (I normally reserve the range 192.168.0.200 and above for my Sonos devices.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
For your second question:
A Sonos device (or in your case a set of bonded devices) has the name you’ve given it. So “Living room” sounds plausible, especially when you connect Sonos with Alexa.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Best option first is to Disable the Sonos Skill and then Enable it again in the Alexa App. If the problem persists, please power down the Beam for 5 secs and then power back on.

If the second option works, I suggest that you open the settings web page for your router and reserve the IP address for your Sonos devices. (I normally reserve the range 192.168.0.200 and above for my Sonos devices.)

I've done this twice now. In the Sonos app, under "Voice Services," I selected "Amazon Alexa" and then "Remove Alexa."

I then verified this by saying "Alexa" with no response from the Sonos. I then depowred the Beam for two minutes and repowered.

I then selected "Add a Voice Service" in the Sonos app, which took me to the Alexa app. I added Alexa and the same problem persists.

For your second question:
A Sonos device (or in your case a set of bonded devices) has the name you’ve given it. So “Living room” sounds plausible, especially when you connect Sonos with Alexa.

Okay, thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've done this twice now. In the Sonos app, under "Voice Services," I selected "Amazon Alexa" and then "Remove Alexa."

This is slightly different to what I suggested. Please open the Alexa App on Android or iOS and select the three bars in the top left hand corner, then select 'Skills & Games' from the menu and then 'Your Skills'. Please now scroll down the list of skills and select Sonos, followed by 'Disable Skill'. Then 'Enable' the skill again and retest.
Userlevel 1
Badge

This is slightly different to what I suggested. Please open the Alexa App on Android or iOS and select the three bars in the top left hand corner, then select 'Skills & Games' from the menu and then 'Your Skills'. Please now scroll down the list of skills and select Sonos, followed by 'Disable Skill'. Then 'Enable' the skill again and retest.

Thank you for clarifying. I tried this three times. No change.

The only way to stop the program that's playing is to physically touch the button on the Beam. Alexa voice commands "Stop" and "Pause" are ineffective.
Userlevel 7
Hi Disco Stu

I'm gong to respond to your issue but not in the same order as you posted.

Also, the Beam is working properly but in the Sonos app, I don't specifically see the Beam listed as a speaker. I think it might simply be labeled "Living Room?" I'm not sure if I should see the Beam specifically?

Just exactly what are you seeing in the Sonos app for Living Room? Are there any question (?) marks present.

All had been working well but suddenly, Alexa will not stop or pause playing by voice command. I can say "Alexa, play NPR" and it will respond properly. I can say "Alex Louder" and "Alex Lower" and the volume will adjust. But when I say "Alexa Stop" (which is what I've been saying since day one) or "Alexa Pause" it will simply make the command chime and keep playing.

Have you tried voicing the stop or pause command by saying..."Alexa stop (name of service here)" or "Alexa pause (name of service here)".

Let us know. Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you tried voicing the stop or pause command by saying..."Alexa stop (name of service here)" or "Alexa pause (name of service here)".

Let us know. Cheers!

Yes, I have tried that. Ineffective.
Userlevel 7
Hi Disco Stu

OK...saying the name of the service doesn't help. Although the steps below may sound redundant in some respects there is a slight difference that I haven't seen in the other suggestions. Let's try this....

1. Log out of Alexa in the Sonos App
  2. Unplug your Beam
  3. Delete the Sonos app
  4. Disable the Sonos Skill in Alexa
  5. Log-out of the Alexa App
  6. Log into Alexa
  7. Enable the Sonos skill
  8. Power Cycle your device
  9. Reinstall the Sonos app
  10. Plug in your Beam and let it come back
  11. Enable Alexa in the Sonos app for your Beam
  12. Test your commands
Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Disco Stu

OK...saying the name of the service doesn't help. Although the steps below may sound redundant in some respects there is a slight difference that I haven't seen in the other suggestions. Let's try this....

1. Log out of Alexa in the Sonos App
  2. Unplug your Beam
  3. Delete the Sonos app
  4. Disable the Sonos Skill in Alexa
  5. Log-out of the Alexa App
  6. Log into Alexa
  7. Enable the Sonos skill
  8. Power Cycle your device
  9. Reinstall the Sonos app
  10. Plug in your Beam and let it come back
  11. Enable Alexa in the Sonos app for your Beam
  12. Test your commands
Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!

I tried to follow these instructions but there are issues with them as written:

At step 7, "Enable the Sonos skill," I tried to enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa app but it first drives me to Sonos.com which then tells me I must open the Sonos App, which was deleted in Step 3 and does not get reinstalled again until Step 9.

I had no choice but to reinstall the Sonos app when attempting to enable the Sonos skill in Alexa in Step 7.

Also, the Sonos app would not let me move forward with the Beam being unplugged, so I had to plug the Beam back in. After all of these little hiccups, I'm not entirely sure if the intent of your instructions were met but I accomplished what you asked in the only way the apps allowed me to do so.

There is no change. "Alexa Stop" is still ignored.
Userlevel 7
Hi Disco Stu

Sorry about the confusion with the instructions. Your comment "I have a Sonos Beam in my living room in a group with two Gen 1 Sonos One speakers and a Sonos Sub." threw me off. I should have realized that you meant the Beam was bonded with the Sonos Ones and sub.

As the Beam controls all speakers bonded to it you are correct that the Sonos app had nothing to connect to. Had the Sonos One's been independent it would have found them as they were still plugged in. The Beam being unplugged would not have prevented the app from connecting

Group means that you have speakers that are independent and only brought together (i.e. grouped) when you want them to be.

At this juncture I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and then call Sonos or contact them via Twitter.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sorry for the confusion, as I'm not 'm not familiar with the vernacular specific to Sonos.

How do I "submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and then call Sonos?"

I do not have a Twitter account nor will I establish one.
Sorry for the confusion, as I'm not 'm not familiar with the vernacular specific to Sonos.

How do I "submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and then call Sonos?"

I do not have a Twitter account nor will I establish one.

Diagnostic:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US
Userlevel 1
Badge

Diagnostic:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

Thank you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Diagnostic Reference ID Number:

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have found a work around:

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Sonos tech support, who was not able to resolve the issue.

After speaking with Sonos, I experimented and determined that if I ask Alexa to play a specific NPR station (eg "Alexa, play WNYC"), the the station will play and the "Stop" command will be recognized.

If I say simple "Alexa play NPR" the same station will play but the "Stop" command will be ignored.

I have no idea why this is happening but requesting the station call letters is the only semi-solution to the problem I've found.
I am also having this problem - Alexa won’t respond to Stop command when playing NPR. Any updates?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team is looking into this, but I don't have any specific details on a resolution. As Disco Stu suggested above, "Play NPR" isn't able to stop, but playing a specific NPR station will. Here's why, "Play NPR" loads up the NPR skill, which isn't responding to the stop command from Alexa on Sonos. Playing a specific station, is playing it from TuneIn or your preferred radio source, such as iHeartRadio.

I'll let you know if we have any news on this issue.
I also have this problem which only started about a week ago. I can stop anything played from the radio app but not Spotify.

However if if I say “Alexa Cancel” then this does work and stops the music.

I experimented with an Alexa device on a different account that is not linked to Sonos. Everything there works fine so it is definitely a Sonos skill issue.
Badge
Exactly the same here on all my Sonos 1’s playing from Apple Music or radio stations, ‘pause’ and ‘stop’ commands do nothing. ‘Cancel’ however stops the music and ‘Resume’ also works.

Needs a fix ASAP...
Identical problem using Alexa (via sonos and via echo) to control spotify. So strange!
The workaround of "alexa cancel" to pause works for me 🙂
I too have this same issue. Started this week after working fine for months. Alexa pause and stop commands no longer work for Spotify on Sonos One. Did anyone successfully fix?
I also have this issue and it start about a week ago.
I have tried removing Alexa from Sonos and readding it, a power cycle and also disabling the Sonos skill from the Alexa app and readding it.
Im glad to see it's not just an issue I have. Strength in numbers and all that. I just hope it's fixed soon!!
I also noticed that when this issue started they way in which Alexa changed the volume changed. So previously I used to say "Alexa volume down\up 5 or 10 or 20" and it would change a little. Now where I would normally say 5 if I just say 1 or 2 it changes to roughly the same volume
Thankfully the "Alexa Cancel" command mentioned by Chris ⬇️⬇️ is a wonderfully easy work around.
I also have this problem which only started about a week ago. I can stop anything played from the radio app but not Spotify.

However if if I say “Alexa Cancel” then this does work and stops the music.

I experimented with an Alexa device on a different account that is not linked to Sonos. Everything there works fine so it is definitely a Sonos skill issue.