Answered

Alexa volume issue since 12.1

Userlevel 3

Hi folks,

I’m experiencing issues related to the volume of Alexa since the Sonos update to 12.1. I’m using a surround setup with one Sonos Beam and two Sonos Play:1 in my living room. Since a few years, the Alexa response volume was just static and not related to the music volume set by Sonos. This was a good thing because you could listen to music in very low volume while you could talk to Alexa and get a normal, relatively loud response.

Since 12.1, the Alexa volume seems to be related to the overall speaker volume. Now when the volume is set maybe between 1-20%, it is just impossible for me to communicate with Alexa because her responses are extremely quiet. I can only start to understand her again when the volume slider is maybe at 25-30% or higher, but then of course the music is also proportional louder, which is not good.

Is there any way to set the Alexa volume independent of the music volume?

Thank you very much in advance.

icon

Best answer by nabheet 28 December 2020, 04:57

View original

127 replies

Me too. Volume far too low and changes the sound bar level too high if you ask to turn it up. 

Just registered to add my name to the list of folks displeased with sonos for this issue. Was working fine with Alexa - now it’s pretty much worthless unless you blast the volume. Reading this thread just pisses me off at sonos customer service. 

Adding myself to the list. Same issues with a Sonos One.  It is VERY frustrating as our entire house runs on Alexa routines and integrated apps with about 75 devices  and it functions smoothly without any issues, EXCEPT for the soft volume problem discussed.  So needless to say it sticks out like a sore thumb, and is a thorn in my side.  It is also VERY disappointing to read through all these members similar issues and to not have a quick direct action response from customer service.  Other services integrated with Amazon’s Alexa in the past had worked quickly to resolve problems or issues, and I’m not sure why Sonos appears to be dragging their feet. I don’t suspect this is a small issue effecting a limited number of users posting on this string, but indeed is most likely just the tip of the iceberg.  One of the members earlier said it best, Sonos has been the premier in wireless home speaker systems, but multiple other companies are making for serious competition. If Sonos wants to be on top, they have to stay on top off members issues and problems. 

LOL! Just installed a new Sonos Beam after Santa got it for me. 

Alexa volume is ridiculously low! I don’t even want them to allow separate volume controls. Just set the default volume to match the TV input volume!!!! Just hardcode it to be the same value!!!!!

Well I have an interesting update. I am not sure but the I may have accidentally fixed my Sonos Beam Alexa volume issue. 

I am not sure what exactly fixed the issue but I had made quite a few changes. I started with enabling Trueplay in the Sonos app. Then set the treble/base/midrange volume to maximum values in the Alexa App → devices → [sonos speaker], then changed it back. I also enabled the loudness radio button in the EQ setting in Sonos App. Then I had also changed the speaker in the Alexa App for the Sonos speaker from Built-in to itself, basically the name that Alexa thinks it has. And then changed it back. 

I don’t know how to validate my changes as I think my Sonos Beam is working fine currently. Both my TV volume and Alexa volume seem to be in the same range. 

also, forgot to mention that my TV is really old so I have used the included Fiber Optic output sound to HDMI adapter. 

Hoping this will help someone else or invalidated. 

Badge +1

I have a sonas, arc speaker and the volume is very low when asking alexa anything, please can we have a update as to when are you going to release a update to fix this???

As you can se many people need this 

I have a sonas, arc speaker and the volume is very low when asking alexa anything, please can we have a update as to when are you going to release a update to fix this???

As you can se many people need this 

Can you please try using Sonos Trueplay to configure sound settings on your Sonos device? Referring to my previous comment, I am wondering if that is what fixed my problem. It seems to be working fine since. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is definitely a sonos problem as I've just changed my assistant to google and it was exactly the same 

This makes it unusable 

Well I have an interesting update. I am not sure but the I may have accidentally fixed my Sonos Beam Alexa volume issue. 

I am not sure what exactly fixed the issue but I had made quite a few changes. I started with enabling Trueplay in the Sonos app. Then set the treble/base/midrange volume to maximum values in the Alexa App → devices → [sonos speaker], then changed it back. I also enabled the loudness radio button in the EQ setting in Sonos App. Then I had also changed the speaker in the Alexa App for the Sonos speaker from Built-in to itself, basically the name that Alexa thinks it has. And then changed it back. 

I don’t know how to validate my changes as I think my Sonos Beam is working fine currently. Both my TV volume and Alexa volume seem to be in the same range. 

also, forgot to mention that my TV is really old so I have used the included Fiber Optic output sound to HDMI adapter. 

Hoping this will help someone else or invalidated. 

I can confirm that the Alexa low volume issue appears to be resolved by running TruePlay.  I performed this on my TV setup which consists of a PlayBar/Sub/One surrounds.

Thanks nabheet!

Havent had any issues on any of my Ones. But just got the ARC and alexa is frustratingly quiet

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have just borrowed an iPhone set it up ran trueplay  no better didn't work

Please all contact sonos support regarding this as I've spoke to them they said they didn't know about it 

Reran Trueplay per suggestion and Alexa is still inaudible at a low mutter. Alexa reports that devices are set to volume 2, Playbase + 2 Ones (L+R)   

Kia ora koutou

Yet another user to add to the list.

I have the One and One SL on my walls, Sonos Move, Beam below the TV and a Five in the study.

Alexa used to be loud and clear but since the updates, it is crazy quiet when I don’t have my music blaring. Like, it is almost impossible to hear Alexa whenever we ask a question etc.

We also have the additional issue I have seen mentioned elsewhere that it often takes me asking Alexa twice before it plays the music. Eugh.

Same issue here.  Tried all sorts of workarounds and NOTHING has worked.  COME ON SONOS this is UNACCEPTABLE…..

Am having the exact same issue. Thought it was me or I was going crazy. 

How is this that hard to fix. Put in a min volume…. (again)

Same issue for me since some weeks (probably since version 12.1). Volume of Alexa is too low and almost not hearable. 

Beam and surround play one speakers. 
Alexa worked perfectly when first got them. 
now Alexa is unusable if I have a TV on or listening to music. 
Have waited patiently for Sonia to fix this issue. As it is a Sonos issue and not and Alexa problem. The fact they generally won’t even acknowledge it is enough to make me look at alternative options for when I move to a new place. 
Alexa is fine when everything else is off and volume can be adjusted so it operates at a suitable noise level. 
Trueplay does not fix the issue. All other suggestions- disabling and reenabling etc make no difference. 
Certainly prevented me purchasing an ARC !! 

Sort it out Sonos!! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Every body on here whom are having problems please contact sonos support and they will need to do  something about it

Same here on Beam. This volume issue and the no ducking option when removing Alexa built-in from Beam and use Echo instead are so frustrating to the point I’ve been looking at other brand alternatives. Such a shame because the sound is great but Alexa built-in rubbish in my opinion. It looks like Sonos is really slow at fixing issues too.

Same here .. surprised Sonos has not addressed issue. Alexa is basically useless, debating now on returning for a Bose or Samsung instead. Disappointing.

Userlevel 2

Are you kidding me? Marking a “best answer” from 3 months ago?

I agree mega90, the moderator or whoever is responsible for pushing that response from three months ago to the “best answer” status, which also does not resolve or acknowledge the issue at all, is bull.  Seems like Sonos is pretending that the issue doesn’t exist.

Now I’m wondering, do they even use their own products in their own home?

They have marked the best answer I have 2 full set ups in my house and will now be leaving Sonos.  They have messed up this time by trying to act like a problem doesn’t exist.  Beyond done with Sonos

My “new normal” is to hold my ear next to the Sonos when I ask Alexa a question. I have tried the suggested solutions in this thread. It is a trivial problem for Sonos to solve. I returned to this thread because I received a notification of a “best answer”. The best answer would be for Sonos to allocate 3 hours of engineering time to solve this problem. 

Userlevel 1

I've been waiting patiently for 2 months now for sonos to resolve this issue. Seems a lot of people are having this issue as well. Wasted so much time messing around with sonos set up and alexa set up with no joy. It's about time sonos took this issue serious.