Answered

Alexa stopped working on Roam and One

• 13 November 2022
  • 17 replies

Initially thought this was just an issue with my One, but checked the Roam and also not responding to any Alexa commands. Other non-Sonos Alexa devices all fine.

Tried all the usual troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Disabled/re-enabled in Alexa Skills
  2. Checked correct Amazon account in use
  3. Factory reset Sonos devices on network
  4. Deregistered devices from Alexa
  5. Removed/re-installed Alexa voice service on both Sonos devices

When re-installing Alexa on the devices the process completes successfully in Sonos (Alexa says “hello” etc), but Alexa app still says they are “offline”.

Any other ideas?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 November 2022, 19:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

@Mrfrix - Nope just tried her1st thing this morning and she worked fine. Roam also now OK.

Alexa is working here too for my Sonos setup. I’m based in the U.K. in case it’s a regional/country issue, but all working fine here.👍

@Mrfrix - Nope just tried her1st thing this morning and she worked fine. Roam also now OK.

She’s back 🙂

Did you do anything in particular before it started working again? Or did it just start working? I still have the same issue.

She’s back 🙂

It’s also possible it is two different things, that look similar in effect. 

I’d certainly be submitting a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of reproducing this problem, and calling  Sonos Support to discuss it, as well as contacting Amazon’s CS. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

As a guess, it sounds a lot like Amazon was having an issue on their side of things. It may not yet be resolved on the servers they use for Sonos connectivity. 

Now I see that Sonos pushed out its latest update on November 9th and Alexa had an update yesterday (November 12th).  So it is likely either one or the other, or the combination of both.  But I think something with latest Alexa update:   version 2.2.506625.0    -   is not playing well with Sonos.   And BOTH Alexa and “Hey Sonos” stop working.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Initially thought this was just an issue with my One, but checked the Roam and also not responding to any Alexa commands. Other non-Sonos Alexa devices all fine.

Tried all the usual troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Disabled/re-enabled in Alexa Skills
  2. Checked correct Amazon account in use
  3. Factory reset Sonos devices on network
  4. Deregistered devices from Alexa
  5. Removed/re-installed Alexa voice service on both Sonos devices

When re-installing Alexa on the devices the process completes successfully in Sonos (Alexa says “hello” etc), but Alexa app still says they are “offline”.

Any other ideas?

Reboot your home router -- that fixed it for me, for about 12 hours, then it happened again.  Had to reboot router again.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@dan02743 - this is identical issue to me.

I noticed it about 21.30 last night.

After all the usual resets failed to work I wondered if it might be the hardware and the microphone was faulty. But like you I downloaded the Sonos voice assistant and found that works OK.

At least it does until you try adding Alexa again and then both voice services are kaput.

A fix for me (at least temporarily), was rebooting my home router.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

As a guess, it sounds a lot like Amazon was having an issue on their side of things. It may not yet be resolved on the servers they use for Sonos connectivity. 

That would potentially make sense, except why does “Hey Sonos” voice command also not work when Alexa stops working now?   Aren’t they separate voice functionalities?   When did the 14.18.2 update get pushed out (was that in the last few days)?   I wonder if it is related to that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Glad to see it is not just me.  Came home from a few days away yesterday, and all of my 5 Sonos speakers were showing offline in Alexa.  Alexa commands not working -- BUT also, “Hey Sonos” commands not working either??  So all voice down.

First tried unplugging/plugging in Sonos speaker.  No dice.  Tried disabling Alexa skill and re-enabling.  Still no dice.

What worked -- rebooted my home router.

But then again, this morning it happened again.   Just rebooted router and working again.   So not sure why this is happening.  Whether it is on Alexa’s end or on the Sonos end.  But why would “Hey Sonos” not work?

When did the 14.18.2 update get pushed out?   Perhaps it has to do with that?

I'm having the exact same issue with my Move and One. 

My echo dots also stopped working last night but I managed to reset those this morning and they are now working. No such joy with the Sonos speakers though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@UKMedia - sorry, but I can’t see how to do that in the web browser? Just offers option to Deregister, which I triedfrom the main Amazon pages - https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/mycd/digital-console/alldevices

I find that selecting the Sonos Device in the web page Settings, often brings it back online.

@dan02743 - this is identical issue to me.

I noticed it about 21.30 last night.

After all the usual resets failed to work I wondered if it might be the hardware and the microphone was faulty. But like you I downloaded the Sonos voice assistant and found that works OK.

At least it does until you try adding Alexa again and then both voice services are kaput.

@UKMedia - sorry, but I can’t see how to do that in the web browser? Just offers option to Deregister, which I triedfrom the main Amazon pages - https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/mycd/digital-console/alldevices

Hello

I'm having the same issue on all my voice compatible speakers which have been connected to Amazon for years. Late last night they all went silent, not recognizing the Alexa wake word and sure enough, all offline in the Amazon Alexa app. Disabling then enabling the skill does not work, deregistering all devices and then adding Alexa via Sonos app also results in offline. Interestingly, if I remove Alexa altogether from the speakers and add Sonos voice control as the only assistant, that does work. The minute you add Alexa to the same speaker, neither voice assistant works - the mic never picks up “Alexa” or “hey Sonos” wake words. Extremely frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Try resetting the Sonos device in the web browser version of the Alexa App: www.alexa.amazon co.uk 

That will normally sort this issue.