Answered

Alexa starts playing music on her own, thru Sonos hours after I've gone to bed

• 14 October 2017
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 1
Seems like the last album I asked Alexa to play will occasionally start playing through the speakers it was last playing or grouped to. Last night at about 3am after falling asleep downstairs, the living room Sonos starts blaring Tom Petty in concert. Kind of groggy I search my memory for how to turn it off thru Alexa, only to find out it was also blaring outside on the patio. Again, I told Alexa to turn off the patio speakers. This morning my wife told me as I got out of the shower, "why is Tom Petty playing outside on the patio". Apparently It started up again.

Another problem I've been having is the music volume of selections I have asked Alexa to play through Sonos speakers turns way down, then back to it's normal volume, several times while playing. Not all the time, just occasionally.

I realize we are on version 1.0 and I'm delighted with the work that's being done. Just reporting some bugs.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 October 2017, 00:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 1
Yep I've had this as well although I got it occaisionally when I had the echo dot connected to my Play:5 via line-in before the public beta release so I assume it is Alexa doing it or my dog has learned to talk and chooses only to turn on music with this new talent. Since removing the line-in I've had it a couple of times on other devices; once on the Playbar and once on the Patio fed by a Connect:Amp
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, this shouldn't happen, though I have seen the odd Alexa command get stalled out in the servers that winds up going through after a while. That hasn't happened since very early versions of the beta.

To start with, check for updates and get to the latest Sonos version, 8.1. Then, if this comes up again, can you submit a diagnostic and let us know the number? We'll take a look.

Also, there's a chance the music is getting restarted another way, such as the play/pause button being pressed on the player, or a controller triggering the play.
Userlevel 1
Thanks, Ryan. Updating now but a bit late to do any testing. You're right about another controller thinking about it, at least for the Playbar. If the dog sat on the Harmony and turned on the Tivo box it would explain that one
I just posted something similar and then saw this. It woke my wife and I up last night as the whole house started playing a tune-in station that I've never even listened to. Rock Christmas something or other.... too early for Christmas 😛
Keeps happening to me too, randomly. No one else living with me, no animals, so it’s not that. Started when I got the SonosOne, along with other weird things like my Alexa dot (living room) answering through my Sonos one (bathroom). Very very annoying, at this point unplugging Sonos at night to avoid wake ups. Any thoughts on fixes are very welcome.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've only had this issue where music restarted about 30-40 secs after I had stopped it. Removing the Sonos skill and then Enabling again, followed by selecting Discover in the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices fixed it for me.
I have had the same issue a couple of times. My wife & I getting woken by blaring music in the middle of the night. Extremely creepy the first time, annoying the second. Not only would it play, it would play at the loudest setting. We never listing to it THAT loud, yet it does when it automatically turns on. No pets or kids to accidentally turn it on either. Is there any solution at all for this? Is this more of an Amazon issue than a Sonos issue? So many questions ...
It happened to us last night. What’s insteresting besides not having any kids or animals in the house is that the last time I played our sonos, 3-4 hrs prior, it was playing grouped throughout the house, but when it started playing all by itself last night at midnight, it was only one of the speakers not all of them. Also, another common theme here in this thread, unless not all users are reporting this issue, is the fact that it happens only at night? There should be a fix for this. This appears not to be new.
So last night my sonos started playing music at 1:30AM. Startled both my husband and my dog. I asked it to turn itself off but it didn't. Ended up having to unplug it and once I did my other sonos speaker started playing music. This issue seems to be common from what I've read. This needs to be addressed ASAP. I have a 1 Year old who happen not to be home last night. Last thing I need is something to wake her up in the middle of the night.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, all. This is indeed a frustrating and inconvenient phenomenon. Would you please adhere to Ryan's advice and submit a diagnostic following an occurrence of this? I understand that this is far from a priority at 0130, but it would really help us identify the cause and subsequently resolve the issue. Please be sure to post the confirmation number here so we can investigate. Thank you in advance.
Badge
Let me add my name to the chorus. I bought 2 Sonos One's for my girlfriend and she is having the same issues. After the first couple of times, I deleted and reconfigured everything from scratch (on both the Sonos and Alexa sides). But that hasn't solve the problem. It usually happens in the middle of the night - i.e. the worst possible time. She now leaves them unplugged and is basically ready to throw them off the balcony. 😞
Ok I signed up specifically to also say I encountered this last night... I have 2 Sonos 1 devices in the living area, both play in sync together and are controlled by Alexa. I was listening to music through them a few hours prior to going to bed.

At just a few seconds prior to 11pm they turned themselves back on and started playing by themselves. It wasn’t until gone 3am that I woke up and turned them off - I feel sorry for my neighbours!

Both run firmware 8.4, and I have looked at my Alexa history and can confirm that she was not receiving any commands throughout this period - we were asleep after all!

Diagnostic report sent to Sonos around 11 hrs after they auto turned on, confirmation 629094848.

Hope this helps resolve this bug!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hopefully Sonos will get back soon on what initiated the playing.

Biggest culprit normally - cats! Do you have a cat. They love messing with Sonos speakers for some reason.
Nope, no cats. Nothing could have accidentally pressed the button and we were asleep!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hey I always check - mysteriously surprising how often it is a cat!

Hopefully Sonos picks up on your diagnostic this morning - they will be able to see where the play trigger came from.
I’d rather it was a cat with attitude, as I’m sure the Sonos developers wish it was too! Seems like it could well just be a massive delay on the play trigger from Alexa. Perhaps Sonos/Amazon should be time stamping the triggers and using these to ignore any triggers received after X period from when they were sent. Probably the easiest fix for sure...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You never should have said "Alexa wake me up abruptly in the middle of the night tonight"
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Ok I signed up specifically to also say I encountered this last night... I have 2 Sonos 1 devices in the living area, both play in sync together and are controlled by Alexa. I was listening to music through them a few hours prior to going to bed.

At just a few seconds prior to 11pm they turned themselves back on and started playing by themselves. It wasn’t until gone 3am that I woke up and turned them off - I feel sorry for my neighbours!

Both run firmware 8.4, and I have looked at my Alexa history and can confirm that she was not receiving any commands throughout this period - we were asleep after all!

Diagnostic report sent to Sonos around 11 hrs after they auto turned on, confirmation 629094848.

Hope this helps resolve this bug!

Hi, Mystiko. Thanks for providing the diagnostic. Unfortunately, it came up blank. Can you please reboot your router, then attempt to submit a diagnostic once again and respond with the confirmation number? Please don't reboot your Sonos speakers. Many thanks in advance.
Done. Try this one. 1537661716
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for the submission, Mystiko. This one seemed to come up blank as well. Usually, this points to a problem getting data to and from Sonos. The best course of action at this point would be to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are able to take a closer look at what is happening to the data with the help of a remote session.

Thanks!
Ok I have problem solved over the phone and have a working diagnostic code of 756107081. The phone support guy had an initial look and it seems as though it was a command sent from Alexa which kick started the Sonos back into action, albeit several hours after Alexa was asked to play my playlist. I use a combination of Alexa and Yonomi to play my playlist on Sonos with a predefined volume. Seems there was some significant delay in forwarding this request to the Sonos.
Hi there, same situation over here. Sonos started playing tonight while I was brushing my teeth and boyfriend already asleep. Dog was sleeping too, so definitely not initiated by her. I do have an amazon dot and perhaps it was a delayed voice trigger from earlier in the day... But it would have been many hours later.
Here is the diagnostic number : 2032363115
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Jayco. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. What room started playing music? Was it the same unit you made the earlier command from? The more details we have the better I can assist. Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi. This self-play thing happened to my setup last night and the night before.
Last night, at 2am, music was playing on one of my speakers (a Play:5 in Kitchen). I went down and told Alexa to "mute on Kitchen". She did it.
Later, at 5am, music was again playing on the Kitchen speaker. Again, I went down and told Alexa to "mute on Kitchen". She did it. Then I unplugged both of my Amazon Echo Dots from their power sources.
Even later, at the less ungodly 7:30am, my wife went downstairs to be welcomed by music in the Kitchen!
There are, I think, some interesting points here:
1. Before the introduction of the Echo Dots and the enabling of the Sonos skill last week, the Sonos system had been behaving as one might expect.
2. My wife and I were asleep on the 3 occasions this morning when the speaker was turned on. Our cat doesn't talk.
3. Volume was normal.
4. Alexa was asked to command silence and did so immediately and yet the speaker was later turned on when the Echo Dots were unplugged. Does this imply a delay in a command queue somewhere beyond Alexa's influence?
5. Diagnostics confirmation number: 1408442031.
Good luck. I look forward to catching up on a bit of sleep :)
Cheers, 'Nic
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi 'Nic. Thanks for posting and sharing your details. Since this started after adding your Echo Dots, it's likely that there may be some command being sent from Amazon Alexa to Sonos. When you log into the Amazon Alexa app, is there anything pointing to this type of behavior in the dialog history? Do you see your Sonos players in the Smart Home tab?

Thanks!