Answered

alexa speaker groups

Badge

I’m trying to add my new ARC soundbar to my Alexa speaker group which shows but is greyed out so I’m unable to give it a tick ✔️ to add to the group. Amazon say it’s a Sonos issue 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ Any help please appreciated thanks Dave 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 June 2020, 17:21

There was an Amazon Alexa App update yesterday, does that perhaps fix it?… also make sure that the Arc is not installed as an ‘enabler’ (controller) of any other Amazon Group.

how do I check that please Ken?

Open the Alexa App. On right hand side of the bottom bar select ‘Devices’ and you will see your Alexa groups.. just look in each one.

The device will have your Arc’s room name, like Lounge or Dining Room etc. or whatever name you assigned to it. Just see if it’s ‘enabling‘ any of your existing groups. It can be used to enable one group only, but you can move it to any group you choose. (remove it from one group, then add it to another). 

View original

12 replies

It was said earlier that the Alexa functionality will be rolling out in the next few days.  Patience, Grasshopper.

Badge

ok will sonos advise when its all good to go?

Yes, they will.

Badge

how and where will they advise please?

I’m certainly not Sonos, but my assumption is that there will be a post in the Announcements area of this forum, as they do for all updates. 

There was an Amazon Alexa App update yesterday, does that perhaps fix it?… also make sure that the Arc is not installed as an ‘enabler’ (controller) of any other Amazon Group.

Badge

Open the Alexa App. On right hand side of the bottom bar select ‘Devices’ and you will see your Alexa groups.. just look in each one.

The device will have your Arc’s room name, like Lounge or Dining Room etc. or whatever name you assigned to it. Just see if it’s ‘enabling‘ any of your existing groups. It can be used to enable one group only, but you can move it to any group you choose. (remove it from one group, then add it to another). 

Badge

Ken brilliant that's sorted it  - it was in the group Living room which wen I say Alexa turn living room off she turns off all lights, TV, Camera etc so I guess now hopefully what will happen the soundbar will just go into some kind of sleep mode by itself? as its no longer in that group but in my sound multi speaker group :)

Badge

Ken 

it didn’t work as the group only now plays music through the soundbar and not through the dots and show which it did previously 

any clues? I’ve deleted the soundbar and the group and started all over again but still no joy 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ken 

it didn’t work as the group only now plays music through the soundbar and not through the dots and show which it did previously 

any clues? I’ve deleted the soundbar and the group and started all over again but still no joy 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s not clear what you are trying to use the Alexa enabled groups for in your case ? If it’s to get the same audio source streaming to both Sonos and Amazon speakers at the same time, in sync, then I’m afraid that’s not possible and never has been. They are two different companies/brands of speaker and do not ‘play’ with each other. The groups are for playing to either Sonos devices OR to Amazon devices and not to both brands at the same time.

So the (usual) purpose is to use the Alexa groups, so that an Alexa component (echo dot or Alexa installed on a Sonos One, just as example) are used to control playback to the chosen ‘preferred’ Sonos speakers.

Those speakers will then auto-group together and play any requested audio.

You just cannot ‘mix and match‘ Amazon and Sonos speakers for playback purposes with these groups, nor mix either of them with any other make/brand of speaker for playback of the same audio in sync.

Hope I have not misunderstood what I think you were perhaps trying to do and that the above information assists.

Badge

Ken fully understand now thanks