Alexa speaker choice in home cinema suggestion

• 6 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Having just purchased a beam for my living room I have paired an existing Sonos one with a new Sonos one sl with it. This has meant the Sonos ones are now acting as rear speakers. 

The Sonos one Alexa function has been disabled on the sonos one due to this and it is now all off the beam as default and cannot be changed. 

I would suggest an option to be included that you are able to select which of the speakers the Alexa works out of. I would like to be able to have the sonos one listening and responding rather than the beam. 

I find that as I’m watching tv and use the Alexa, it nearly mutes the tv to listen to you. This can interrupt programs you are watching when you are asking something quick, like for the lights to be turned on via Alexa for example. 

If it was the rear speaker Sonos one that was responding, the beam wouldn’t nearly mute and interrupt the tv program. 

If it could be considered for future updates. 

Thanks 

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Gillyd88.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I'll submit a feature request to our development team, whether the voice feature will be set up to the rear speaker or the main speaker.

We don't have a timeline we can share for this feature, but we'll be sure to make an announcement if we have any updates.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

@Gillyd88  To be clear, When using a Beam or Arc, the rear speakers can’t be used as Alexa no matter what.  The reason being as that the Beam and Arc can be used to control the TV through CEC commands, while rear speakers cannot.  Also, when the Beam or Arc ducks to hear Alexa, it does so on the entire room speakers, not just the Beam or Arc.