Alexa + Sonos: How it Works

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

179 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Can sonos play 1 and a Amazon Echo play the same song at the same time? I.e to be both used in one room together?

No.

You can group either platform together with siblings from the same hardware, but you cannot create a group/pair of two differing types of hardware.

Similar restriction on stereo groups for the new playOne. You cannot make a L/R stereo pair from a current Play:1 and a new style PlayOne.
Can sonos play 1 and a Amazon Echo play the same song at the same time? I.e to be both used in one room together?

No.

You can group either platform together with siblings from the same hardware, but you cannot create a group/pair of two differing types of hardware.

Similar restriction on stereo groups for the new playOne. You cannot make a L/R stereo pair from a current Play:1 and a new style PlayOne.

I think we're mixing terms a bit here. The answer to the question is No (unless you can manage to time it perfectly manually), but there is a difference between 'groups', 'pairs, and 'bonds'.

Sonos allows 2 units of the same time to be paired together to form a stereo pair, one zone. That is NOT a group.

Sonos allows certain bonding scenarios where you can mix units of a different type together in one zone. For example, a stereo pair plus a SUB. Or a playbar, sub, and 2 surrounds.

A group, as defined by Sonos, is temporarily playing 2 or more zones in sync. Amazon does groups similarly, however, their zones are nothing more than an single echo. Also, they predefine and name their groups, while sonos does not. The important point though, is that even though both Sonos and Amazon have groups, you cannot put sonos zones and Amazon echos into the same group.
Badge +2
I've always felt that "group" in SONOS should have a fixed component, like grouping several players to be "downstairs", and that this be a permanent option. In an open room setting, where the TV bar and separate SONOS components are inclose proximity, the reality is when you play music on one, you cannot play music (or watch TV). This also is true if you have a surround-sound system and play music through it -- as a practical matter, they are always grouped. So if this type of grouping is available for TV surround sound, why not make it optionally available for grouping SONOS devices into "scenes" -- like "downstairs" or "den"?
I have had my Sonos hard wired in to two Alexa Echos for about 12 months. It meant that my music and Alexa's responses/confirmation played through Sonos in that room. Since downloading the wifi enabled software, all i can get through songs is the music (it also doesn't seem to offer hard wiring) - HOW do I get music AND Alexa's responses through my Sonos?

It is only for controlling music playback. There is no functionality to have all Alexa audio play through Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If I buy a Sonos One, will the Alexa integration enable me to control things like thermostats, lights and smart locks that I have around the house?
The Sonos One can use Alexa skills to control most devices. The Sonos One doesn't have a smart things hub though, so you do need another device if the things in your home need them.

I have a current gen Play 5 and an Echo Dot. Can someone please explain the differences in performance and functionality of each component depending on whether I have connected the two via line-in vs. the new wireless integration.
The way you're using it now, the PLAY:5 is being used as a dumb speaker connected to your Dot. All audio that would play from the Dot instead plays through the PLAY:5.

With the Sonos skill, you'd issue commands to your PLAY:5, through your Dot. So Alexa would respond out of the Dot's speakers, but commands like "Play Unleash The Archers on PLAY:5 (whatever it's call)" would have that playing on the PLAY:5, and you could control what's on from your Sonos app and your Alexa app.
Great new feature, but I don't see any way to play from my music library. Is that in the works?

Some interesting discussion in this podcast with Patrick Spence: https://www.recode.net/2018/2/2/16961978/sonos-patrick-spence-apple-homepod-alexa-virtual-assistants-too-embarrassed-swisher-goode-podcast

Right around :32 minute mark, he teases about Alexa controlling everything Sonos does, evens hints at Apple Music being controlled by Alexa. Possible? Maybe...
Userlevel 3
Badge
Great new feature, but I don't see any way to play from my music library. Is that in the works?

Some interesting discussion in this podcast with Patrick Spence: https://www.recode.net/2018/2/2/16961978/sonos-patrick-spence-apple-homepod-alexa-virtual-assistants-too-embarrassed-swisher-goode-podcast

Right around :32 minute mark, he teases about Alexa controlling everything Sonos does, evens hints at Apple Music being controlled by Alexa. Possible? Maybe...

I highly doubt it given the Sonos One still seems incapable of playing audio for any added Alexa skills. She responds like she will play the request but then you get silence. A bit like the Sonos support team, it looks like they're going to respond to this issue (since October) but then silence...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Is there any way to play Sonos playlists or favourites? Alexa seems to recognise the "playlist" keyword, but doesn't recognise any of my playlists. Alexa is presumably looking for them on the default music service.
Alexa doesn't have direct connection to the stuff on your local player, like playlists and favorites, though it can change the play state. So if you start a playlist from your Sonos app, or have it in the queue, you can use the "Alexa, play on..." command to start the music, or use Alexa to change the tracks.
Badge +1
If I ask Alexa to start playing music in the bedroom all the Sonos speakers will play. Should it be possible to just start playing on one speaker or do I need to group/ungroup in the app before giving the play command?
Been waiting a long time for this - it's really great! My question for someone in the know:

I can enable two rooms to play from Pandora if I ask Alexa separately, i.e., one at a time. Is there something I'm missing to play in each room with just one command?

Thanks.
I'm confused. I have the newer play5s. Both grouped as Living Room. I updated my app. I updated my Sonos system. I even scanned devices in Alexa app (but not sure if Sonos should show up there or not (it does not). I say things like "Alexa, play jazz in the living room" and she says things like "I cannot do that in the living room" and other versions of "no".

I have Hue bulbs that are grouped as Living Room too. Any ideas what I should be saying? How I should be saying it? Or why I am having problems?
Anyone know if there's a command to have Alexa play "TV" audio on Sonos?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
..... so how to command Playlists and/or Favourites ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
+1 on the 'Stop Playing" bug. Alexa wont stop playing music on a Sonos player even though she was able to start it.
Alexa might not be hearing the room name right, so make sure that it's picking up the one you want. For troubleshooting, try some of the suggestions here. What command are you using? Word for word is really important.

If I ask Alexa to start playing music in the bedroom all the Sonos speakers will play. Should it be possible to just start playing on one speaker or do I need to group/ungroup in the app before giving the play command?
It'll start playing in all the rooms that are grouped with that player. If you just want to play in that room, you'll need to separate the group out. We'd love to add some grouping features one day, so stay tuned. The skill will get better and have more features over time.

I'm unable to enable the Alexa skill. Despite going through the Amazon and then Sonos dognon pages it still doesnt appear as an enabke skill. Any ideas?
Just making sure, you were able to find the Sonos skill in the Alexa app, right? Once that's done, you need to log in with your Amazon account, then your Sonos account. Once that's done, just discover devices.

Where are you located? Are you in the US, UK or Germany?

Been waiting a long time for this - it's really great! My question for someone in the know:

I can enable two rooms to play from Pandora if I ask Alexa separately, i.e., one at a time. Is there something I'm missing to play in each room with just one command?

Already answered this above, but for now you'll need to target each room individually, or use the Sonos app to group them together.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm confused. I have the newer play5s. Both grouped as Living Room. I updated my app. I updated my Sonos system. I even scanned devices in Alexa app (but not sure if Sonos should show up there or not (it does not). I say things like "Alexa, play jazz in the living room" and she says things like "I cannot do that in the living room" and other versions of "no".

I have Hue bulbs that are grouped as Living Room too. Any ideas what I should be saying? How I should be saying it? Or why I am having problems?

My rooms show up as devices in Alexa app after scanning. You have to search for the sonos skill (and sort by release date, because searching will pull up a lot of non-official apps) to add the skill to your Alexa before searching.

More than likely it is defaulting to the bulbs. Name the bulbs "Living Room Lights" or something similar (or name the Sonos "Living Room Sonos".

I renamed the sonos pair to Couch. I have nothing else with Couch in the title. I say "Alexa play classical music on the Couch. (I also tried remove the "the" and just said Couch."

It does not work. She tries to play stuff on her own speaker.

It would really help if they had provided more info. I feel like I have no idea how to set this up or how to request from Alexa to play on Sonos.

My rooms show up in Alexa app after scanning. You have to search for the sonos skill (and sort by release date) to add the skill to your Alexa before searching.

Ahh. this may be it. I had no idea there was a skill involved in this case. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

More than likely it is defaulting to the bulbs. Name the bulbs "Living Room Lights" or something similar (or name the Sonos "Living Room Sonos".

I renamed the sonos pair to Couch. I have nothing else with Couch in the title. I say "Alexa play classical music on the Couch. (I also tried remove the "the" and just said Couch."

It does not work. She tries to play stuff on her own speaker.

It would really help if they had provided more info. I feel like I have no idea how to set this up or how to request from Alexa to play on Sonos.

Make sure you discover devices again after you change the name of Sonos or the names of the lights. That should solve the issue though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It's a bummer that none of this works with my local music library. If all this does is allow you to tell Sonos to play the same streaming sources that Alexa can already play natively, what's the point of going with Sonos instead of simply connecting your Echo Dot to some nice speakers?
You can still use Alexa for controlling music that's already playing on Sonos, no matter the source. That includes volume commands, and starting/stopping. If you have a playlist in your Queue from anywhere, tell the Sonos player to play and it'll start up.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok. so after adding skill and scanning. If I say "Alexa, play jazz on Couch" it plays jazz on Alexa. But if I say. Alexa, play Music on Couch" it plays music on Sonos. So what should I be saying to have some... ANY control on what I hear on Sonos right now? :)

Here are all of the commands, you can see the general syntax you need to speak in order to control Sonos through alexa:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514

I'm unable to enable the Alexa skill. Despite going through the Amazon and then Sonos dognon pages it still doesnt appear as an enabke skill. Any ideas?
Just making sure, you were able to find the Sonos skill in the Alexa app, right? Once that's done, you need to log in with your Amazon account, then your Sonos account. Once that's done, just discover devices.

Yea I can find it alright. Click enable. It takes me to api.sonos.com, hit continue, tells me about the permissions that Alexa needs, hit OK. Takes me to na.account.amazon.com, click Continue and it takes me straight back to the Alexa app but the Skill is not shown in my skills. Im in the UK
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ok. so after adding skill and scanning. If I say "Alexa, play jazz on Couch" it plays jazz on Alexa. But if I say. Alexa, play Music on Couch" it plays music on Sonos. So what should I be saying to have some... ANY control on what I hear on Sonos right now? :)

Here are all of the commands, you can see the general syntax you need to speak in order to control Sonos through alexa:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514

Also, sometimes Alexa has trouble with the occasional room name. So you could try a different name and see if that works better. Make sure you re-discover devices after changing names.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
3 Questions:

Is there an Alexa command to have Sonos "TV" audio play?
Is it possible to tell Alexa to play the same music/song/playlist in multiple rooms or "all"?
Is it possible to tell Alexa to play a *Sonos* playlist?

1. No. Alexa doesn't understand that your player has a TV input right now.
2. Not yet, but we'd love to add that one day.
3. Nope. Again, something we'd like to see for the future. Alexa doesn't have direct access right now to your favorites or library.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Yea I can find it alright. Click enable. It takes me to api.sonos.com, hit continue, tells me about the permissions that Alexa needs, hit OK. Takes me to na.account.amazon.com, click Continue and it takes me straight back to the Alexa app but the Skill is not shown in my skills. Im in the UK

That's a tricky one. I'd say your best way to go is to give us a call on our support line. We'll take a look with you. You might want to try using a different device with the Alexa app if you have one you could try out.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
It's a bummer that none of this works with my local music library. If all this does is allow you to tell Sonos to play the same streaming sources that Alexa can already play natively, what's the point of going with Sonos instead of simply connecting your Echo Dot to some nice speakers?
You can still use Alexa for controlling music that's already playing on Sonos, no matter the source. That includes volume commands, and starting/stopping. If you have a playlist in your Queue from anywhere, tell the Sonos player to play and it'll start up.