Alexa, Sonos and connect

• 9 January 2019
  • 2 replies

I have an older Sonos system using connect (without an amp) and a bridge playing through hardwired ceiling speakers. I currently control this from the app on my phone. I subscribe to spotify.
I would like to add Alexa to operate the existing system without having an inferior speaker playing the chosen music. Can this be done? Will I end up with an alexa device also playing music if I do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
All you need is an Echo Dot. I don't have Spotify, but I understand that you can now initiate music from Spotify using Alexa commands. I have five zones with six Sonos products, none of which have voice control built in. I can control all zones using voice commands via my two echo dots.
I hope that helps.
I can confirm that playing from Spotify is easy, and by using Alexa Groups you can make the audio default to your Connect without even having to specify a 'room' in voice commands.

You cannot (yet?) initiate locally stored music using Alexa but can pause, skip, change volume by voice once the music is playing.

3rd gen Dots are out in the UK at the end of the month and can be pre-ordered on Amazon for £30.