Alexa Skill - Amazon Not Connecting to Sonos Website

I'm trying to set up the Alexa Sonos Skill, and keep getting the following message. I've waited and tried multiple times to do the skill, and keep getting the same message over and over. I'm logged into my Sonos account, so it's not an issue with Sonos. For some reason, Amazon isn't letting me connect and set up the Alexa Skill. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

You need to sign in to Amazon and Sonos with the same email address. Log out of all Amazon apps (including the Alexa app) that are installed on your mobile device, and try afterwards again to authorise the Sonos skill.
Thanks Smilja - I did those things and am still getting the same message. Thoughts? I did it on my app, and also through the Amazon homepage, and in both instances received the message.
Please reproduce this behavior, submit a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number.
Okay, thanks. Will do.
Quick question - the behavior is happening in the Alexa App when I try to connect with Sonos to activate the Alexa Skill, as part of that process on Amazon. Will the diagnostic capture that behavior within the Alexa app? It appears that the diagnostic captures something from within the Sonos app...
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, familyuser123. Diagnostic reports will not report on whats going on in the Alexa app. In general, diagnostics show how well your Sonos speakers are connecting to the local network along with a few Sonos specific controller logs.

That said, if the problem is only when the two (Sonos & Amazon Alexa) attempt to shake hands, it still is something we would likely want to have the support team take a closer look at. At least at that point, we can ensure the Sonos part of the equation is sorted and determine if you need to get in contact with Amazon. As far as I understand, we aren't experiencing any outages with Amazon Alexa at the moment.
Okay, thanks Keith. I'll reach out to the support team so we can figure out where in the process things are breaking down.
I am having this same issue today

Sonos One was unable to play music via Alexa Voice command
It would find the track, then say "Sonos is offline"
Sonos was still able to play music via its App, and Alexa was still able to answer questions and otherwise function normally.

I disabled the Alexa skill to see if I could re-establish the connection, but now when I try to re-add it, the Sonos API web page will not proceed because it stalls on a page that says:

Register your speakers
You need to link speakers to your Sonos account before you can add this skill

Speakers are clearly in the app, and when I check the Sonos account on this web site the speakers are there too.

Choosing the "I've fixed the problem" link in the API page just sends it into a loop.
Choosing the "Go to the Sonos app" button is not helpful either.
Register your speakers

In the Sonos app, try entering the 'More --> Settings --> Room Settings'; if this doesn't prompt you to sign into your Sonos account, go to 'More --> Settings --> Account Settings'.
Exactly same problem here. Music services stop working via Alexa 1-2 weeks, although speakers (1xBeam + 1xOne) worked ok through the Sonos App. I deactivate Sonos skill on Alexa and when I try to re-activate I get that message while trying to connect to api.sonos.com "Oops, there was a problem". :@

Any luck here?
Register your speakers

In the Sonos app, try entering the 'More --> Settings --> Room Settings'; if this doesn't prompt you to sign into your Sonos account, go to 'More --> Settings --> Account Settings'.

Thank you, this worked to get Sonos and Alexa linked again.

I continue to have a problem where the Sonos One speaker is unable to play Spotify music via a voice command.

If I unlink the Sonos skill from Alexa, and link it again, it works fine for a day, then says that it is offline again.
I am also getting the "register your speakers" message after trying to disable and re-enable the sonos skill in the alexa app. I've updated sonos controller and the alexa app and have logged out and re-logged in to both apps. Sonos speakers work via sonos app but can't reconnect via alexa. Any suggestions?
Same problem here! Just stopped this morning EST.

The Sonos Alexa Skill can't reach the Sonos website so Alexa will not play on Sonos until this is fixed!

This is happening to several people TODAY. So this isn't just a random incident with one or two people.

Sonos and Amazon need to figure this out.
Same problem. Alexa connection worked fine last night. This morning voice control through Alexa stopped working but could still control everything through the app. Was forced to update app to get at settings and it said I was logged in with the proper Sonos credentials. Disabled the Alexa app and now I cannot enable it...continuously get the Register your Speakers error.
Same issue for me. Alexa says "Sorry, on Sonos is offline." Try disabling Sonos in Alexa and when I try to enable again it says I need to link my speakers to my email, but the are when I look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, for those having trouble today, there's a partial system outage at the moment that we're working on which could be causing you this issue. You can follow the status here.
Thanks Ryan. I am able to connect now.
Everything is working now! Thanks!