Answered

Alexa response through sonos speakers

• 7 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I'm looking to add Alexa to an exiting Sonos setup and want Alexas response to come through my Connect:AMP which already exists.

Is this possible with the echo dot? If not is, if I get a Sonos One and create a zone with the Sonos One and the Connect:AMP will the response only come through the Sonos One speaker or will it come through both the Sonos One and the speakers connected to the Sonos Connect:AMP?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 7 November 2017, 15:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi,

I'm looking to add Alexa to an exiting Sonos setup and want Alexas response to come through my Connect:AMP which already exists.

Is this possible with the echo dot?

Yes, but not by using the new Sonos Alexa skill. You can connect the line out of your dot to the line in on the Connect:amp. Then you have to set the source of the connect:amp to the line in, or turn in line in autoplay. It's ideal, but it's possible.

If not is, if I get a Sonos One and create a zone with the Sonos One and the Connect:AMP will the response only come through the Sonos One speaker or will it come through both the Sonos One and the speakers connected to the Sonos Connect:AMP?
Thanks

No. Technically, you can't put the Sonos One and the Connect:amp in a 'zone', but they can be grouped to play music in sync. Regardles, when the Sonos One speaks as Alexa, it's not playing it as your typical audio source that can be grouped with other zones. It makes sense if you think about it, since you don't want the Sonos Zone to stop whatever audio it was playing when you talk to it as Alexa.
It makes sense if you think about it, since you don't want the Sonos Zone to stop whatever audio it was playing when you talk to it as Alexa.

Strangely that’s actually what I’m trying to achieve, or at least Alexa talking over the music playing for clearer interaction.
I have a Sonos One and an Echo Dot. Rather than say “play x in the kitchen”, I just want to say “play X” and then it plays through the Sonos