Question

Alexa on Sonos Beam

• 6 February 2019
  • 2 replies

I have a Beam with two Sonos Ones in Surround mode. It is hooked to my Samsung TV by optical (I don't have ARC).
The TV receives it's signal from an Apple TV 4K. Now I don't have a problem, just a question. Alexa will control volume
but also pause the TV and Play. It will not turn it off or on.I use the Siri Remote through CEC to turn the Apple TV (connected to a Yamaha AV) the AV and the TV on or off all at he same time. But everything I read says that I should not be able to give the TV commands through Alexa unless I have ARC. I am just curious as to how Alexa will Pause or Play
a TV programme or Music Video from my itunes library without ARC. Cassidy

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Beam wouldn't be capable of pause/playing TV, on it's own, even if you did have an ARC connection. It can do so if you have an Amazon Fire TV, but only if you're watching Fire TV content.

Is Apple TV your only source of content? Do you haven anything else connected? Typically, when you have the control capabilities you mentioned, there is some sort of Alexa smart skill setup by the maker of the TV input device that allows the control. I'm not really sure what the Yamaha receiver is doing in your setup, so perhaps it's coming from there?
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, the only device I have hooked up is the Apple TV 4K. It is hooked into the AV because that is the set up I had with my old wired speakers, with a DVD and Wii. The three were plugged into the AV , then signal sent to the TV. The TV is a 2009 Samsung, with HDMI but no ARC. The DVD is about the same age, but it is not turned on and neither
is the Wii. The AV is a Yamaha RX-A710 with no ARC. I call the Beam with the two Sonos Ones, The Den. In The Audio
Output Settings on the Apple TV, The Den shows up and that is the one I have checked off for Audio Output to the speakers.
Like you, I don't understand why I can pause and play the TV. Cassidy