Alexa not shuffling Spotify playlists

• 9 December 2017
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere. Although Alexa recognises the command 'Shuffle PLAYLIST playlist in ROOMNAME' it doesn't actually shuffle the playlist; it just plays in sequential order. I'm not sure of the benefit of being able to ask Alexa to play Spotify playlists if you just keep hearing the same song every time and have to use your phone to turn shuffle on anyway. Does this work for anyone else ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Tried this yesterday and (with Spotify at least) it now seems to work. 'Shuffle PLAYLIST playlist in ROOMNAME' does actually shuffle the playlists. 😃
I have this same problem. As I result, I don't use my Echo to play music -- I have to play using the sonos or spotify apps.
It is working for me, both on Amazon Music and Spotify here in the UK. Perhaps try shuffling your playlist a couple of times and see that the room queue will start with a different song each time you give the Alexa command to shuffle the playlist.
This is a SIGNIFICANT issue. I regret purchasing a Sonos One. I hold out some dim hope that maybe Google Assistant, when it finally arrives, won't have this issue but who knows.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm not sure that command is supported yet:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.139606963.1095743978.1506552577-1491669311.1488879254&_gac=1.180528597.1511606155.CjwKCAiAxuTQBRBmEiwAAkFF1oALnz96PmYXSnBA2S5Va6kZH-GMxirNsBm3OEv4x_UDJRYzPiX8OxoCxj8QAvD_BwE
I've found the same thing with Amazon Music but after saying "Alexa play my xxxx playlist" say "Alexa shuffle" and it does turn on shuffle mode (after playing the first song in the playlist). That's with Amazon music, not sure if it will work with Spotify.
Hi there!
I do not know if they correctes the bug from previous messazs but On my side, commands « Turn Suffle mode in ROOMNAME on/off » look to work properly once you start playing a Spotify playlist.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
For the past couple of days I've noticed that shuffle isn't working with Amazon Music either. I used to be able to says "Shuffle my playlist [name]" on my Sonos Ones and it would shuffle. Now it just plays in the default order.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
For the past couple of days I've noticed that shuffle isn't working with Amazon Music either. I used to be able to says "Shuffle my playlist [name]" on my Sonos Ones and it would shuffle. Now it just plays in the default order.This seems to be an Alexa problem as it happens with Sonos and Echos.
So actually, just failed again...
Alexa confirmed that Shuffle mode was turned on, but then, when asking to go to the next song, Alexa is asking what song I want to play...
And this morning it worked... that’s weird...
Badge
Anyone find a solution to this?
Badge
I typically say "Alexa, shuffle play in ". It will play a different order from the default Spotify order...but then every time I ask it to shuffle play, it always uses that same order. Days, weeks, months apart. Sonos support totally punted and said it was Alexa or Spotify's problem. Spotify wants me to log out of my windows and android apps, restart my phone and laptop, then power cycle each and every Sonos player I have. I'm not holding my breath.
I'm having the same issue. For me, it alpears to be only be a problem on Spotify through Alexa through Sonos, actually. I ask Alexa to play my playlist and turn shuffle mode on. It plays like the same 20 songs every time. Out of a master playlist of nearly 3,000 songs. I understand that Spotify may implement a queue? It doesn't seem to be able to clear or advance this queue. Even after days and weeks of trying things. It's always the same few songs. It's a shame because it's almost making me dislike some of my favorite music! I find it tremendously frustrating that i cannot shuffle my favorite music from Spotify through Alexa on Sonos. On demand play this play that is nice and having to manually start spotify on a device is not the end of the world but this is supposed to be voice enabled.
I have this same problem. As I result, I don't use my Echo to play music -- I have to play using the sonos or spotify apps.