Answered

Alexa no longer responds to "pause" and similar commands

• 18 August 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I always used to be able to silence whatever was playing on Sonos by saying “Alexa pause” or similar commands like “silence”, “shut up”, etc.

Now this no longer works unless I say the speaker name e.g. “Alexa pause master bedroom”.

A bit annoying.

I have tried this; deleting and re-enabling the Sonos skill, and deregistering and re-registering my Sonos devices in Alexa.  I have tried factory resetting my Sonos speakers.  I have tried removing and re-adding the Alexa voice service in the Sonos controller;  I have searched this forum and followed the suggestions I have found; and I have chatted with Sonos support who referred me to Amazon support.  They refused to support Alexa on Sonos in the UK.  So I’m a bit stumped.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Happy to provide whatever information is needed, but for a starter, here is my setup.

Sonos controller for Mac 12.0.3

Sonos OS S2

Build 58179060

Associated Product: 10.0.4.13

---------------------------------

Play:5: Dining Room

Serial Number: XXX

Sonos OS: S2

Version: 12.0.3 (build 58179200)

Hardware Version: 1.13.1.9-2.2

Series ID: C201

IP Address: 10.0.4.11

WM: 0

Play:5: Drawing Room

Hardware Version: 1.13.1.8-2.1

Series ID: C200

IP Address: 10.0.4.6

Playbar: Kids’ Room

Hardware Version: 1.9.1.10-2.2

Series ID: A100

IP Address: 10.0.4.7

Audio In: 

OTP: 

Sonos One: Kitchen

Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.4.9

Beam: Master Bedroom

Hardware Version: 1.23.1.10-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.4.13

Audio In: 

Beam: Snug

Hardware Version: 1.23.1.10-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.4.8

Audio In: 

Sonos One: Tom’s Room

Hardware Version: 1.21.1.8-2.2

IP Address: 10.0.4.10

icon

Best answer by Paul A 19 August 2020, 16:23

Hi @PotemkinMcNasty.

Thanks for the detailed and immediate response. I would recommend the following guide to check if it would make a difference.

• Power cycle your mobile controller. (turn off Wifi on phone settings, turn the phone off, turn the phone back on after 10-15 seconds, turn on Wifi and re-connect to Wifi)
  • Unplug the router from power and plug it back after 10-15 seconds.
  • Once internet connection is restored, reconnect to the Wifi on your mobile phone and power cycle your Sonos devices. (unplug them from power and plug them back into power after 10-15 seconds).
  • Retry the recommended steps again. 
  • If we encounter the same problem try changing the mobile phone or use other mobile phone controller.

Please let me know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

View original

15 replies

I’ve had the same issues, specifically with news apps.  I’m not sure how to link to the post I made on here but they had me do a lot of logging out and uninstalling and forgeting devices but none of it worked unfortunately.  I called tech support as well and after an hour or so on the phone we got nowhere.  I’m just waiting for a fix.  In the meantime I have my old Amazon Echo sitting next to my Sonos One.

I did not try using the speaker name to stop it though, so I will give that a try.

Good luck and thanks for posting this.  Hopefully it will lead Sonos to recognize this as a more common problem and develop some kind of fix.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PotemkinMcNasty.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out with detailed info about your Sonos system.

I would like to recommend the following steps based on the order it is provided. Here is the complete guide on how to perform the steps below.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which is and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  2. Open the Amazon Alexa app and disable the Sonos Skill.
  3. De-register any Sonos product on the Alexa App.
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  5. Remove the Alexa Voice service.
  6. Force close Sonos app.
  7. Force close the Alexa App.
  8. Reopen the Sonos App. Add Alexa as a voice service.
  9. Open Alexa app Add Sonos as skill
  10. Register Sonos speaker
  11. Add music service.
  12. Test to check if it works.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Thanks,

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User242124.

W#elcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to recommend the following steps based on the order it is provided. Here is the complete guide on how to perform the steps below.

1. Log out of ALL Amazon-related apps which is and not limited to the following. (Amazon Prime, Amazon Shopping, Amazon Alexa, etc.) 
  4. Open the Sonos App.
  11. Add music service.
  13. Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi both, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Appreciate your help!

@Paul A thanks, but I tried that - no dice.

@User242124 I guess I could just be doing something silly here, so maybe there’s no wider issue.  But if others are finding the same thing, perhaps there is something for Sonos or Amazon to fix here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PotemkinMcNasty.

Thanks for the immediate response. 

I would like to recommend trying it one more time making sure the steps recommended above are done accordingly. This may help you out the same way these steps have helped a lot of members in the community. Give it a try and then Submit a diagnostic to capture all information performed on the Sonos devices. I would like to ask for the confirmation number of the diagnostic so we can check the status of the Sonos system.

Thanks,

For information: my Sonos 1 stopped responding to the “Alexa off” command today as well. I have also tried the above reseting and unlinking of services and it is still the same. It’s a bit of a pain because it is on a high shelf so difficult to reach and switch off with the button. 

First it wouldn’t play any music with Alexa but worked with the app. The app said a software update was required so I did this and then it started playing music with Alexa (after unlinking and relinking Amazon account) but stopped responding to off, pause etc. commands so my thinking is it is related to the recent software update but I may be wrong.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Paul A  - thanks for your continued help.

I tried this.  Something different this time - got to step 8 and it fails with an error - screenshot attached.

Thanks

Richard

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PotemkinMcNasty.

Thanks for the detailed and immediate response. I would recommend the following guide to check if it would make a difference.

• Power cycle your mobile controller. (turn off Wifi on phone settings, turn the phone off, turn the phone back on after 10-15 seconds, turn on Wifi and re-connect to Wifi)
  • Unplug the router from power and plug it back after 10-15 seconds.
  • Once internet connection is restored, reconnect to the Wifi on your mobile phone and power cycle your Sonos devices. (unplug them from power and plug them back into power after 10-15 seconds).
  • Retry the recommended steps again. 
  • If we encounter the same problem try changing the mobile phone or use other mobile phone controller.

Thanks,

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Hunda67.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would recommend following the steps I have mentioned above. We do not have to worry as the steps indicated above does not need any interaction or button pressed on your Sonos system. Please follow the guide accordingly taking one step at a time.

Hi @User242124.

4. Open the Sonos App.
  11. Add music service.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Paul A - that helped.  I was then able to add Alexa voice service.

This also fixed the issue with “Alexa Pause”.

Thank you

Richard

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PotemkinMcNasty.

Thank you for the update and immediate response.

I’m glad everything is now fully functioning and we were able to fix your voice service. I hope you do continue to love and enjoy your Sonos.

Please feel free and do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Paul A  

This has started happening again.  Happens every few weeks. I don’t really wanna have to go through the whole rigmarole again. Please can you help me with a permanent fix?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PotemkinMcNasty.

Thanks for the feedback and immediate response. That seems to be an odd behavior. Let me recommend the steps indicated above as it may be the permanent fix to this.

Hi @User242124.

4. Open the Sonos App.
  11. Add music service.

Thanks,

I hope this helps out in permanently fixing the issue.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. @Paul A 

I find those instructions work for a few weeks, and then the issue reoccurs.

Inam looking for something to address the root cause so this doesn’t keep happening.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @PotemkinMcNasty.

Thanks for the immediate response and feedback.

I would like to recommend submitting a diagnostic and contact our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps so the root cause can be identified and be resolved.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. we are always here to help.

Thanks,