Alexa lowering volume

• 19 October 2017
  • 58 replies

Userlevel 2
How do I stop Alexa turning down the volume in all the rooms rather than the one it is in? Listening in one room kids using Alexa in another volume up down up down up down.....,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

There is no facility to eliminate the ducking feature at this time, but Sonos is aware of the issue and are working on it. The Sonos Alexa skill is a beta at this time and will be evolving in the coming weeks as both Sonos and Amazon incorporate new features.
Userlevel 2
Thankyou, I had to disable the skill as was driving me mad.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had to disable the skill as was driving me mad.
I absolutely agree, this was bugging me too. As a temporary solution, I am planning to "forget" those SONOS speakers that are not in the proximity of Echo Dot. This way I cannot control speakers in the other end of the house, yes. But at least the news stories I'm playing in the bedroom won't be going in and out while my kid is playing with Alexa in the kitchen. Great for beta, but I hope lots of fixes are coming soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
sonoslover.... I hadn't thought about deleting Sonos units from the Alexa app that I don't want to voice control. That will solve one of my major issues with having enabled. Thanks!
I did make alexa “forget “ the other sonos speakers other than the one I want alexa to control. Still the same problem though, keeps lowering volume on my other devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Although you can instruct Alexa to forget other Sonos speakers she will keep adding them back unless you disable the Sonos skill completely.
You’re right actually. Something they definitely need to fix in my opinion. My daughter talks to her bedroom Alexa all the time which makes it impossible to listen to music through sonos elsewhere in the house.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
See https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/amazon-dot-and-play-5-line-in-going-quiet-when-replying-from-alexa-6791469/index1.html
Userlevel 2
Badge
Correct, if you "forget" the speaker but it's still grouped with other speakers in the house, alexa will find it again and automatically add it to devices. Forgetting the speakers in Dot will only work if you do not group them in Sonos. Basically, treat the speaker(s) that are next to Dot (and therefore should benefit from ducking feature) as separate speakers that are controlled by Dot and don't group them with others in Sonos. Less than ideal, I know... but hopefully a temporary solution until Sonos skill gets better.
Userlevel 2
Badge
As a Sonos customer that has every room in my 5 bedroom house (including the laundry room and garage workshop but not yet bathrooms) outfitted with a Sonos Player abs an Amazon Echo of some sort, I was eagerly awaiting the Sonos Alexa skill. Imagine my tremendous disappointment with the poor integration that Sonos has done with Alexa. No support for grouping, no support for Spotify, no support for local music server control, and, perhaps the killer for me, the ridiculous ducking implementation that causes EVERY
Sonos Player to duck when ANY Echo is used. Did no one at Sonos test with anything but a single Sonos Player and a single Echo in the same room? The skill is so far from the very high quality of Sonos technology in general that I have to wonder what’s going on over there. Please don’t tell me “this is beta”. Sonos did beta already and they are a year late on Alexa integration.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Correct, if you "forget" the speaker but it's still grouped with other speakers in the house, alexa will find it again ...

I have tried 'forgetting' speakers which are grouped and keeping the Sonos Alexa skill for the un-grouped speakers but Alexa persists in finding all speakers on my WiFi and so once again I have deactivated the Sonos skill.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just deactivated the Sonos skill after suffering with it for less than a week. Back to using the Sonos mobile and desktop apps.

The CEO of Sonos and the CEO of Amazon need to rent a house, put a Sonos Player and an Echo in every room, and live there 24/7 for a week and try to use this integration.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I'll put my 2 cents in, not that it really seems to matter to Sonos, based on everything that's been happening. It's mind-blowing to me that Sonos would release such a horrible user experience. There's no way they tested this, and deemed it acceptable. It's a complete joke, so I immediately deleted the skill because this feature has NO SKILL whatsoever.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm suffering from this as well, and it's in reality a show stopper in homes with multiple Sonos speakers...

However, some of the blame (if that's the right word) has to lay with Amazon, as until last week, Alexa had no way to know what devices were effectively in the same room as the Alexa device, so that leaves you with no choice but to mute everything. (And yes it's a rubbish solution!)

However, now Amazon have introduced a thing called Alexa-enabled Smart Groups which *could* be a way of enabling Sonos to fix the issue properly... (see https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-and-alexa-smart-groups-integration-6793472) as Alexa can now work out what other smart devices are co-located with it, and therefore could also work out that it only has to mute speaker devices in the same group it is in. This would be my preferred solution to this as it would tie up with control of other smart devices in Alexa.
Userlevel 2
Any news on fixing this yet?
Having picked up an Echo Dot using the Sonos/Amazon offer I have consigned it to the drawer until the ducking situation can be controlled. With 11 rooms of Sonos it is not a good experience to have this impacting on rooms well out of physical reach of the Dot.
+1 on this being a big issue for our house. We've got Sonos in multiple rooms and with the kids getting Echo Dots in their rooms, our music is ducking in and out constantly. Eagerly awaiting an upgrade that fixes this issue.
Big issue here too, just too my voice to the requests for a fix. It's a PITA, and with 2 dots in the house I've noticed random ducking when we're not actually using the dots at all (which I can only think are incorrect triggers of the dots, which I have configured to respond to "echo").

Right now we don't use the dot that much, but if sonos can't get a dot associated with a room, it'll be an integration I turn off.
On one hand I am happy that I am not the only one with this issue. On the other I can't understand why no one at SONOS thought about this!?!?!?

Ideally I want an Amazon dot in every room where I have Sonos speakers. But that's out of the question as long as this issue persist.
Just disabled the skill because of this. Would be nice to “pause” this skill in the Sonos app so times when you are watching a movie or listening to music you could turn off ducking easily without having to open the Alexa app and disabling and re.enabling all the time. They claim to have a whole house system but then allow something like this. Not impressed with the Sonos app for navigating music either. Wish I could play directly from my Amazon Music app.
Badge
Just use the app instead of the stupid voice control
This is a very serious bug ! I can't undersrand how the Sonos team missed that or passed that through their quality control. How come a simple Alexa call in my daughter's dot in the bedroom mute all my quality Sonos music system across my home. I really hope Sonos fix that immediately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not really a bug when known to work that way. Currently Amazon doesn't have a way for them to single out specific units to duck the volume. It was no ducking at all or duck everything. Sonos chose duck all over no ducking. As above, sounds like though if you delete a sonos speaker from the alexa app it will not duck (but you will lose voice control over that particular speaker). If you want voice control enabled on specific speaker it will duck.
Frankly if thats a decision and not a bug that makes it even worse. Its sad that after all that wait for the integration, Sonos had to go with such a huge deficiency even if this is from Amazon. My personal opinion, if i were in their shoes and if the situation is what you described, i would have opted for No ducking for Sonos speakers at all rather than ducking all ! I hope Sonos comment on this thread .
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It was a decision. I personally would have gone. I ducking as well but I think a lot of people were having issues with Alexa hearing them this they went thensucking direction.

Hopefully the nia not long before amazon pushes out ability to link the echo and playing device as a group so that then Sonos can only suck thensingle speaker and also you won’t have to always say “play in room name”. That is the key missing part of current integration and once in place will really improve the user experience.