Question

Alexa in Canada

• 20 January 2018
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
For Christmas, I bought an Alexa Dot off Amazon Canada for the main purpose of voice control of our Sonos system. The description said it supported this. I would not have purchased Alexa if I knew this was, in fact, not the case in Canada. I'm very disappointed. When will the Sonos skill be available in Canada?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

I am wondering the exact same thing, I was under the impression this services was made available in January of 2018 but from my understanding there is still no official date on when we will be able to take full advantage of the voice feature.... and true tune for that matter....
Early in 2018 is what Sonos said. As to what that means in terms of a more precise time is anyone's guess - it could go to June 30. For India, where Alexa was released by Amazon a month before Canada, Sonos won't even say early 2018. I have given up asking and have learnt to use what is arguably the better way of using Dots via line in sockets on my Sonos kit. In comparison, the Sonos integration is still clunky.

Another thought - voice control cannot start music that sits on your local NAS and just controlling volume/stop/restart is a pale imitation of being to also able to start music play from silence as one can with Amazon Prime streamed music. So if you want the full experience, that subscription is recommended. Not a problem in India because Amazon throws in a free annual subscription with every device purchased and my membership runs to 2020 that way.
Userlevel 1
Thanks. I went out today and bought new blue tooth speakers to use with Alexa. It seems like a waste when I already have a full Sonos system throughout our house. Oh well. Let's hope Sonos can provide this skill in Canada soon.
Hopefully you bought the kind of BT speakers you can continue to use to fill another gap that I don't see Sonos filling in a hurry or even after 2018 - outdoors/on the road use.
Three months later alexa still doesn't work but yet they still are Still selling as a smart speaker? Just have to wonder why? Maybe they should put it on hold in Canada till they're capable of releasing the product software to make it work? Because at this point advertising it as a smart speaker is nowhere being true! Sorry just mad that I paid for something THAT DOESN'T WORK AS AVERTIZED AND YET THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY WORK ON IT BEING RESOLVED! just a statement that it will work sometime in 2018? I really hope sonos isn't becoming presidental as in not being able to tell fact from fiction.
Sonos is BS. Unless it has something to do with the CRTC, there is no plausible explanation on why they are holding up the release. If there was a reason they would inform us and keep customers updated. Sonos is otherwise great and I promote them, but this is one area where the have failed in the timing of the launch and the communication. They will never be a company like Apple to at least execute when they say they will.
It's an infrastucture issue. They have to get the Sonos cloud functioning with the Canada based Amazon Cloud.

Sonos has stated they will bring Alexa support to Canada in early 2018. It is still early 2018. No failure there.

And by the way, last year Apple announced their Sonos pseudo-competitor, the Homepod, would be ready for the 2017 Christmas shopping season.

Still waiting for the Homepod.
Hey don't get me wrong, I love Sonos...... they have been around since 2002 and should be able execute as quickly in the Canadian market as fast as they did in the US and UK, as we are they second biggest market . Apple has been pretty spot on with their numerous launches and products, so to be late on one is not bad. Anyway early 2018 is at the end of March and an update on "infrastructure"would be good for all of the loyal customers that have invested new Sonos product.
I would be disappointed too. But there is a lot more going on than just turning a switch. They have to prepare their cloud services for millions of more users and make sure both it and Amazon Canada can handle the hit. Be patient.
I have 2 Connect amps and 2 Play3s, Alexa in one room and Google Dot in another. Unfortunately I live in Canada and Amazon music and Alexa don't work with Sonos. I am so disappointed having supported Sonos for so long. Now my family asks Alexa or Google to play the music they want...Sonos is dead in my house. I sure won't buy a Sonos One and have 3 voice command systems!! Any idea why they are so secretive about when Alexa and Amazon music will be available in Canada...I am losing the family battle (6 against 1)
You can have Alexa in Canada (Jan 29, 2018) but you have to start by flipping you Amazon account to the US first. First first first, no fooling. I got all the way set up with spotify and the alexa app and linking sonos between both and (and alexa to spotify) and it was a huge waste of time. You have to "rip out the wires" so-to-speak and start again. Basically once you flip the account, you can set everything else up and THEN set the device locations to be in Canada and it will have useful location-based functionality. Honestly just did this 2 hours ago and I'm much happier now with all of it working... took a WHILE to figure out how deep you have to dig though. I wont post any screenshots unless there are replies/interest. Suffice to say, it is totally possible.
Hi, Can you post the screenshoots?
So I believe I followed this link:

Then go to settings and with the country settings press "Change".

I can't actually DO it to screenshot those steps as this is my mothers account and I've already done it but that's the 'deepest' level change that I believe permitted everything else to start working. You should see a warning about shipping and being shown prices in american dollars... Then you should remove devices like i said and re-link everything going from there.

In addition to the changes I was after to start setting up the Sonos One with Alexa the alexa app completely changed it's appearance on my phone. I now actually have alexa on my phone and everything needed to be relinked. Wouldn't hurt to clear caches at this point.

I was in a pretty safe spot to try this out of course as i have no other devices or smart home components. Decide if you want to risk the hassle of having to re-tool things if it doesn't work as expected but other than that i think there's no harm in doing this.

Like i said before you can then set device locations to be where you actually live in Canada once you're done all this. I no longer see that "amazon account language" and useless blue Continue bar like before. I've got skills set up and everything is really working. ALSO my amazon.ca is still intact from what i can tell, including my saved for later, addresses and payment methods.

Best of luck.
Can anyone confirm if this actually is working for them with full local regional alexa support and sonos usage?
I don't understand, did you TRY the steps I posted? I'm telling you it's working right now: calendar, weather, news... All local to my Canadian account/location. TRY it and see and then you can be the one to come and confirm it here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I am in Canada, with a Canadian Purchased Sonos One and Several Canadian Purchased Amazon speakers. I have Alexa working on Sonos.
The only thing I cannot do is play Audible.com content, although I can play audible.ca content. The keys to get this working until a full and complete solution is to set up an Amazon.Com account, to load a Yanomi skill onto Alexa and then let Yanomi discover the devices. It discovered my Sonos One speaker and using the Alexa App, the speaker was registered to the US Amazon Account. Everything except Audible works.
I had to deregister everything a couple of times to get the implementation sequence working, but it works and I will leave it until formal implementation whenever that occurs.
I have no idea if Sonos or Amazon need additional infrastructure as noted in the rest of this thread, it works for me as is, and now. The Sonos speaker shows up in the Alexa app and I can play Alexa services on the Sonos and vice versa.
I’ve set my location in my sonos profile (on the sonos website) to be a u.s. location. Then when you go back to the sonos app you should be able to add the Alexa voice service. works like a charm
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Puggles, yes, Alexa works fine, my issue is getting Audible to work in Canada on a Sonos One. Just changing location and all the other cute fixes will not get the Sonos One streaming Audible content, and, the simple fix using Bluetooth is not available on Sonos. This site shows discussions which go back many many months looking for Reinstatement of Audible support which was once available on Sonos systems, and, Sonos has said, many times that the support is coming. Yes, I know you can connect some Sonos devices by a wire to play tAudible content, you cannot do it with Sonos Ones.
You can have Alexa in Canada (Jan 29, 2018) but you have to start by flipping you Amazon account to the US first. First first first, no fooling. I got all the way set up with spotify and the alexa app and linking sonos between both and (and alexa to spotify) and it was a huge waste of time. You have to "rip out the wires" so-to-speak and start again. Basically once you flip the account, you can set everything else up and THEN set the device locations to be in Canada and it will have useful location-based functionality. Honestly just did this 2 hours ago and I'm much happier now with all of it working... took a WHILE to figure out how deep you have to dig though. I wont post any screenshots unless there are replies/interest. Suffice to say, it is totally possible.
Does it works only with sonos one, i mean the new generation or it can works with an old generation play:5?

Thanks