Answered

Alexa in canada

• 8 November 2017
  • 57 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 1
Alexa is now (Nov 15) available in Canada, when will Sonos turn on its availability in Canada?
Just ordered a sonos one and I just moved to Canada. I still have my US amazon account but I thought I'd be able to use my new Canadian Amazon account.. is it not working yet ? echos are being sold already in canada !
Alexa is now (Nov 15) available in Canada, when will Sonos turn on its availability in Canada?
you can use Alexa in Canada. Create an account on Amazon.com. Get an echo device 9not yet available in Canada). If using iOS - create account on iTunes store USA or if using a computer you can also control Alexa from Alexa.amazon.com

It seems that this can be done for Sonos speakers located in India as well. If so, with Amazon having officially released the Alexa app in India ten days ago, and having commenced shipping Echo/Dot from Amazon India, I fail to understand why my Alexa app is missing Sonos Skills. Sonos claims to be "working hard" to provide this. What work is involved, if I can obtain voice control here in India just by hacks like the above?
I don't think it as easy as that. Sonos Alexa does not work in India although Amazon launched Alexa and their devices in India last week, having announced the launch end of September. From the Sonos CEO down, at this time only vague statements have been made to me as to when this will work here. One statement yesterday says: "I am hoping that this feature will be available to you soon". A day before that: "Alexa will be available when Sonos and Alexa launch together in your region".

So we have to live in hope. I am quite pleased with how well both Echo and Dot are doing standalone with Amazon Prime Music, I have to say.

But given the proximity, Canada ought to be a simpler latching on action by Sonos, I should imagine.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
you can use Alexa in Canada. Create an account on Amazon.com. Get an echo device 9not yet available in Canada). If using iOS - create account on iTunes store USA or if using a computer you can also control Alexa from Alexa.amazon.com
You may need to use a smart proxy to appear as though you are in the USA - about 4-5 per month. At present you will not be able to use any of the local functions as you cannot set a Canadian address in Alexa
That is a question for Amazon. Once Amazon makes the Alexa devices are available in your area, Sonos will be able to roll out the Sonos Alexa skill a short time after.