Alexa in australia

• 26 January 2018
  • 51 replies

I have a sonos one that I have been using with Alexa but now that the service is starting in Australia my account has been migrated and I have lost all my skills in order to get them back I need to set the language to English Australia thesis need o be bone in the sonnos app do you know when voice services will be made available in Australia so I can change the setting

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 1
Yeah pretty disappointing that there isn't even a timeline on when it might be available.
Userlevel 1
The one and only reason people went with the more pricey One instead of the Play1 was the assistants support but there is still none for most countries...
Userlevel 1
So the Sonos One and Amazon Alexa are now both released in Australia and we can’t connect them together. Ive had a Sonos system for several years and I’ve had it connected to an Echo Dot for several months and all worked perfectly using the UK English setting. Now that Amazon has released in Australia most of my skills have disappeared including the Sonos skill which is my main reason for having Alexa. Is the Aussie accent so different that you have to withhold the skill? It’s been 100% reliable for me.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello there, Thebutlers. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. We do not have a specific date to share for Alexa support in Australia. Stay tuned! You would think that as soon as Alexa was available in your country that Sonos would automatically allow you to use Alexa?
Hi Keith, that date would be...?

You aren't going to get a date. They never give out exact dates until they are sure they can meet it, and if they were sure they could meet it, you would have gotten a date.
Based on what I've read on this forum, I think I'll hold off or maybe buy Google Home
+1 here, The primary reason for purchasing the Echo Dot was to control Sonos by voice. Please allow access asap!
+1 seems like you’re sticking to specific script about no date to share just for the sake of it. Just enable it - seems to be a 5min exercise given skill already exists in English. Stupid to take the smart out of smart speaker at the same time Apple launching a competing device...

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/custom-skills/develop-skills-in-multiple-languages.html
+1 . I have 5 sonos devices and have been controlling them happily for 6 months, now Alexa has become available in Australia suddenly my Sonos devices have disappeared. Surely it cant be difficult to re-enable it for us?
Considering that Sonos have been saying for months that Alexa will be available soon, the Sonos One has gone on sale in Australia and that Amazon Alexa launched yesterday in Australia, it's pretty bad form that Sonos suddenly announce on the same day as the Alexa launch that it won't be available until "...later this year...". A lot of people have bought the Sonos One to be ready. Not a good way to treat your loyal customers.

Hi guys, I don't have a specific date to share, beyond the new timeline for Alexa support. But I do want to clarify that we're talking Fall in Australia (which is generally between March and May), not Fall for the US(roughly September through November).
This really got me mad.

I bought a Sonos One to get Alexa functionality. This is my first entry into the Sonos eco-system. Now I only found out after the speaker is setup that there is no Alexa functionality in Australia until somebody gets around to making it work, especially bad is the fact that Sonos cant tell the consumer even a date of when they will get it to work. Who in the hell at Sonos screwed up so badly that they are selling a product into a market that does not do what is promised in the marketing material? Heard of consumer laws?

I’d call it false advertising to call the Sonos One a smart speaker.... when the smarts do not work. At least Sonos could have put a sticker on the box that the smart functionality will not work until some time in the future.

I thought I was buying a completed product. Instead I unwittingly bought into a Sonos Kickstarter campaign in a box.

If I was running this Australian Sonos business model. I could start selling a product, send out empty boxes with an IOU to my customer that as soon as I develop the product I’ll get one right out to them, promise, enjoy the box in the mean time. What could go wrong?
Userlevel 2
ZZZZzzzzzzzz Another MONTH rolls by and still NO AU ALEXA!!!!!!! Great product - very poor support! Amazon Echo and Alexa has been available in Australia will FULL support via Amazon for 2 months now but still no Alexa on my SONOS ONE! If it wasn't for the great sound quality and in my case large investment I would have returned for refund long ago!
Very disappointed. Surely they could pin point the release to a month now, is it April or May?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Thebutlers. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. We do not have a specific date to share for Alexa support in Australia. Stay tuned!
+1....
+1...WTF Sonos??? The only reason I bought the 'ONE' was because of the Alexa support. It's now available, I have the app on my iOS device...Let switch this S#@t on guys.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
bad news everyone, that date is like 6 months away
https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/632856/sonos-delay-aussie-alexa-support-one-smart-speaker/

Hi guys, I don't have a specific date to share, beyond the new timeline for Alexa support. But I do want to clarify that we're talking Fall in Australia (which is generally between March and May), not Fall for the US(roughly September through November). We'll let you know if anything changes between now and then. Timelines are always a little tricky with so many moving parts, that's why we try not to give dates.
After Receiving the news that it could be May before we receive official support I ordered 3 homepods that will arrive Friday the 9th. I'm tired of waiting. Anyone in WA want a good deal on 3 Sonos Speakers? A Play one, a One and the Sonos Bar All bought in 2017 when I updated my Sonos stuff. Tech is more about when. Could you Apple people get excited about an iPhone 6s? I did back in the day but no one would now. Sonos is dragging their feet when the Google Home Max and Apple HomePod sounds awesome and is available now, this week. I think the "Available this Fall in Australia" is the straw that broke Sonos' back for me. Especially when the competitors were ready in the Summer...
Play ONE - I've bought a car - just waiting for the petrol before I can get going !
Userlevel 2
Sick of waiting to be honest. Purchased Sonos One Pre order before release and nearly 5, yes 5 months on and still no voice control in Australia. Amazon echo been out a month. Get your sh*t together Sonos we have waited long enough.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Very disappointed. Surely they could pin point the release to a month now, is it April or May?

I have a feeling it will arrive right on the last day of May
Just updated this morning but was disappointed to see no Alexa support. Wishful thinking perhaps

I just chatted with one of their online support. He says April. It was hard to tell exactly on what authority he gave that info but here's hoping! (conversation pasted below)

Hi, how are you?
I'm well. Can you tell me when the Alexa skill will be available in Australia.
I don't believe there is a specific date we can release just yet. Give me a moment to double check that for you.
thanks. If you could check that would be great.
Unfortunately, I am unable to get a specific date but it will be available this month. I would recommend subscribing to our mailing list so you can be alerted as soon as it is available.
Ok, this month (April). That is great.
The website still says "Autumn 2018" which could mean all the way out till the end of May. If April is reliable might I suggest the website be updated. I think a lot of us in the Sonos community have been pretty disappointed both in the delay but (more importantly) the lack of information. But April is very good news. Thanks.
Yes, that is correct! I am sure the website will be updated very soon. Thank you for that feedback.
Thank you :-)
You are very welcome
As of today, Amazon Alexa is now available for Australia and New Zealand! About bloody time 🆒

Holy smokes! Thanks will try it out now! Fingers crossed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone! Thank you for sounding off. I was able to confirm with the team that the Sonos skill will be available for Alexa in Australia early this year.

Thanks for your patience.