Answered

Alexa hears my voice command but doesn't play music on my Sonos One?

• 12 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Hey community, thanks for your time. We just moved and I set up my Sonos One speaker, changed the WiFi settings etc, Sonos app on my phone is updated already, and so forth. I say "Alexa, play (fill in the blank)". Then Alexa responds by saying she is playing the (fill in the blank) that I commanded, but then there is no audio (the audio volume is not turned off). On my Sonos app, I can click a song option with my finger, and music will play. But again, Alexa voices my command as if she's gonna play music, but then silence. Not sure how to troubleshoot this.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 12 July 2018, 10:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

First thing if your Sonos One works via the app but not via voice is to Disable then Re-Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App. If the problem persists, then please follow the steps in this article:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/resolving-the-majority-of-issues-with-alexa-on-sonos-6798039
Yeah I have two sonos beams one for works and one for home, Both are listed in the same account. Looks like the alexa skill is only able to bind to one of them at a time, not both, So I have to go thru the drill of disabling and re-enabling the alexa skill based on which one I want to have it at the time. Wish I could select both and be done with it, but it is not a check box, but a radio dial that only let's you pick one device. Maybe this can be a future product improvement. Let me know if anyone has found a workaround to this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yeah I have two sonos beams one for works and one for home, Both are listed in the same account. Looks like the alexa skill is only able to bind to one of them at a time, not both, So I have to go thru the drill of disabling and re-enabling the alexa skill based on which one I want to have it at the time. Wish I could select both and be done with it, but it is not a check box, but a radio dial that only let's you pick one device. Maybe this can be a future product improvement. Let me know if anyone has found a workaround to this.

That's your problem. The relationship between the Amazon and Sonos account must be 1:1 and the Sonos account should be considered to be location or network subnet specific. So in your situation, you would need 2 Amazon and 2 Sonos accounts, one pair for each location.
I can resolve by placing the beams in separate accounts. Their only needs to be a 1:1 relationship between each beam account and the single Amazon account. The issue isn't on the Amazon side as the selection is made when the Sonos API is invoked when enabling the skill to the device. I just wanted to be able to keep the Beams in one Sonos account instead of managing multiple Sonos accounts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I can resolve by placing the beams in separate accounts. Their only needs to be a 1:1 relationship between each beam account and the single Amazon account. The issue isn't on the Amazon side as the selection is made when the Sonos API is invoked when enabling the skill to the device. I just wanted to be able to keep the Beams in one Sonos account instead of managing multiple Sonos accounts.

I disagree but you're free to ignore me. 🙂 All voice command processing is done in the Amazon Cloud with calls then sent to the Sonos controller. You run the risk, as others have found out, of initiating music in the wrong location by having a 1:M relationship. With regards to your two Beams on the same Sonos Account, this is possible but you would need to have a dedicated device for controlling each location - You would need to set-up a new system in each location.