Question

Alexa Follow Up mode coming?

Badge
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/9/17101330/amazon-alexa-follow-up-mode-back-to-back-requests

This features is going to be so nice, I'm guessing Sonos will get this added over time as well?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge
I read an article that said follow up would be available on the One. The setting seems to be under the wake word settings which doesn't exist for the One. I would love to see this feature enabled!
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Amazon's own language states that "Follow-up mode is available on all hands-free Alexa-enabled devices." Of course, as we already know that are other similar features for 'Alexa-enabled' devices' that the Sonos one doesn't yet support.
This is already available on Sonos One.

It can be enabled per device via https://alexa.amazon.com > Settings > Device
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
You're right. I checked the settings for the wrong device -- speaker instead of Alexa -- the first time I checked.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Just realized that when you enable Alexa's new Follow-Up mode, you not only hear the Wake Sound when you say Alexa, you hear it AGAIN after she acknowledges your initial command and waits for another. Ugh.
It does not seem to be available in the UK yet.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just realized that when you enable Alexa's new Follow-Up mode, you not only hear the Wake Sound when you say Alexa, you hear it AGAIN after she acknowledges your initial command and waits for another. Ugh.

Yes, Follow-Up mode is a great feature, but hearing the Wake Sound repeatedly is a real distraction--even more so now that Amazon has implemented "Brief Mode." You now hear the Brief Mode tone followed immediately by the Wake Sound. I'm hoping the introduction of Follow-up mode and Brief Mode will encourage Sonos to now prioritize an option to disable the Wake Sound.

Sonos One still doesn't fully implement Follow-Up mode. On my Echo Dot, it will keep listening for as many commands as I care to give it. On Sonos One, it only listens for one additional command and then stops listening. It's unclear if this is by design or not.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Yet again the awful wake sound on Sonos one interfering with the very system it's supposed to work in harmony with.

When on earth will the developers at Sonos sort this farce out instead of messing around with loads of other stuff that nobody actually cares about. Hundreds of complaints about this stupid wake sound and they have been ironically silent for months on it.

It's laughable.

This do7ble playing of the wake noise when people enable this skill is just going to add fuel to the fire for the Sonos one. Quite why this isn't the number one priority to get sorted in a matter of days at Sonos is truly mind boggling.
Badge
Hope Sonos doesn’t remove the ‘wake up sound ’ to me it lets me know Alexa is active, I say that because when I am sitting down I cannot see the lights on the speakers and I hate spending time talking to nothingness.
Hope Sonos doesn’t remove the ‘wake up sound ’ to me it lets me know Alexa is active, I say that because when I am sitting down I cannot see the lights on the speakers and I hate spending time talking to nothingness.

Perhaps give the user the choice to have/not have the wake-up sound. That would help to please everyone.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9

It is highly unlikely they would disable it completely. Many people seem to be unaware that Amazon's own Echo devices use the same exact wake sound, but that the sound is disabled by default and only enabled if the user chooses to change the setting in the app. Since Amazon requires some form of notification as to whether Alexa is listening or not—and (as some have speculated) may not consider the Sonos' One light adequate in all circumstances—it remains to be see if Sonos will ever give us this option to disable the wake sound. But I don't see them ever removing it completely.