Answered

Alexa features don't work very well

• 31 October 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge
I posted a reply on another thread for the same problem but nobody has replied with anything to help.

To copy the text - I bought a Sonos one to replace an Echo as I loved the Alexa functionality in the kitchen but wanted better audio quality. The speaker is amazing but Alexa is terrible. I also find myself shouting at it to respond. I have the old Echo in another room and quite often that answers me when the Sonos One is still ignoring me. I've also noticed that quite a lot of the Alexa skills don't work on the Sonos One - for example "play radio X" won't launch the radio x skill.

On the whole I am really pleased with the sound quality but Alexa is a big let down. While I'm having a moan - the noise it makes when it finally does respond is horrible 😃 Here's hoping this is software....

Can anything be done to improve my Sonos One? I read a comment that it should be just as sensitive as the Amazon Echo, and it is nowhere near that good. Does that mean my Sonos is faulty?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 1 November 2018, 11:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

The Sonos One isn't as responsive yet as an Echo product but it is improving and learning. The Sonos One is also an 'Alexa Enabled' device and the Echo Dot is an 'Alexa' device - I accept that these definitions don't jump out as providing different functionality but these are Amazon terms and also applies across the Amazon product range as well. From a user perspective, not all Alexa skills that are compatible with 'Alexa' devices work on 'Alexa Enabled' devices.

I've also noticed that quite a lot of the Alexa skills don't work on the Sonos One - for example "play radio X" won't launch the radio x skill.

The Sonos system is set-up to give voice control over Music Services that have been set-up in your Sonos System. The following streaming services are supported, although there are some country by country differences: https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/streaming-music

Can anything be done to improve my Sonos One? I read a comment that it should be just as sensitive as the Amazon Echo, and it is nowhere near that good. Does that mean my Sonos is faulty?

Some people vouch that touching the Mic symbol on the top of the Sonos One to turn the Mic off and then repeating to turn it back on can improve things.