Answered

Alexa echo no longer playing BBC sounds to Sonos Five

I’m getting really frustrated with my Echo no longer playing BBC sounds on the Sonos Five. I’ve tried everything from disabling BBC sounds skill on Alexa app as well as Sonos, removing the group, what the voice command is to play music on the Five.

The strange thing is Spotify plays on the Five from echo.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 24 January 2023, 12:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just to confirm, have you installed BBC Sounds as a music service within the Sonos App?

Just to confirm, have you installed BBC Sounds as a music service within the Sonos App?

No however I just did it 10 minutes ago after reading another related topic. 

It hasn’t worked.

Having disabled the BBC Sounds skill for Alexa in the Alexa app, I assume you have re-enabled it, as there is no hope of this working without it.  You cannot have disabled the BBC skill for Alexa in the Sonos app because it doesn’t exist there.  So please can you tell us what you did do, and whether you have reversed it?

Having “removed the group” (I assume you mean the Alexa group that associates the Echo device to the Sonos speaker?), have you reinstated it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In addition to the comments from @John B, this link gives the Alexa commands for the BBC Sounds Alexa skill: What can I say to Alexa in the BBC Sounds skill? | BBC Sounds

And to confirm, you need to have the Sonos and BBC Sounds Alexa Skills Enabled within the Alexa App.

Having disabled the BBC Sounds skill for Alexa in the Alexa app, I assume you have re-enabled it, as there is no hope of this working without it.  You cannot have disabled the BBC skill for Alexa in the Sonos app because it doesn’t exist there.  So please can you tell us what you did do, and whether you have reversed it?

Having “removed the group” (I assume you mean the Alexa group that associates the Echo device to the Sonos speaker?), have you reinstated it?

yes both re-linked

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

yes both re-linked

And the command  "Alexa, play 6 Music” doesn’t work?

@Darroch,

Try using an Alexa ‘enabled’ group for music instead and set the echo device as the controller for the group and put the ‘Five’ in the speakers section and middle section of the Group for ‘audio ducking’ purposes. See attached ‘example’ screenshot from the Amazon Alexa App.

In the speakers section of the Alexa ‘enabled’ group, below the list of available speakers, also ensure that the ‘playback options are set to ‘Always’ as that will stop you having to include the group name in your voice instruction to the controlling devices. See screenshot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you also confirm that if you ask your Echo Dot ‘What’s the time?’ it replies correctly.  (I’ve noticed that your Echo Dot is greyed out in the last screen capture that your sent.)

@Darroch,

Try using an Alexa ‘enabled’ group for music instead and set the echo device as the controller for the group and put the ‘Five’ in the speakers section and middle section of the Group for ‘audio ducking’ purposes. See attached ‘example’ screenshot from the Amazon Alexa App.

Thanks, just went through that on desktop which has linked them. Previously it wasn’t showing both as being ticked. I also disabled bbc sounds skill and re-enabled.

I can now get BBC radio on Sonos but the command is now different. Previously I would say “radio 2” and it automatically play on the Five but now I have to say “BBC sounds” then the radio station. Maybe this has been updated and unsure if it was related to my updates?

IF I say "Alexa, play Radio 2" the Echo Dot replies "Playing BBC Radio 2", then says "BBC Sounds". BBC Radio 2 then plays on my Sonos Play:5, as required. 

It has been like that for quite a long time. I have not noticed any change.

IF I say "Alexa, play Radio 2" the Echo Dot replies "Playing BBC Radio 2", then says "BBC Sounds". BBC Radio 2 then plays on my Sonos Play:5, as required. 

It has been like that for quite a long time. I have not noticed any change.

Yes, this is what I am seeing/hearing too. I don’t think it has changed either.

Just an FYI - this has resolved itself by doing all of above.

thanks everyone!