Alexa does not recognise and will not save my location for each device

• 15 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Alexa does not recognise my location, any ideas on how to get to to work? If I ask what the weather is Alexa says set up location in settings.

In the settings on the Alexa ap and on the alexa desktop it see's each device twice i.e. P's Sonos 1 and Bedroom, P's Sonos Beam and Lounge. The location is saved in the Sonos device but will not save in the room. What do I need to do to get Alexa to recognise my location?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

If you open the Alexa App>Settings>Devices are your devices shown as 'On-Line'? If you open the device P's Sonos 1 do you have the option to record the Device Location but have problems saving?
Hi UKMedia, thanks for your reply. On the device P's Sonos One the location is saved. P's sonos one is in the kitchen, on the Alexa Device Kitchen it will not save my location. Its the same for my other alexa devices in bedroom and lounge. If I say Alexa what is the weather I get told to set up my location.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This used to happen a lot in the early release days of the Sonos One and was caused by an issue with the Alexa App. Can you power down your Sonos device for 5 secs, then when it's powered up and connected, ask 'Alexa, Discover Devices'. After this has completed please open the web browser version of the Alexa App (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com) and try and store the device location again. (Please also check that the device is shown as 'On-Line')
Hi UKMedia. I powered down all my sonos devices. I turned the lounge one on first. When online I asked Alexa to discover devices and Alexa says I could not find any new smart home devices, if you haven't already please enable the smart home skill on the Alexa App.

I then went to the web browser version of Alexa. Its a beam in my lounge. The beam is showing as online with my address, the Alexa Device lounge is there but will not save my address.

I then turned on the one in the kitchen. Its the same, Alexa can not find any new devices. P's Sonos One is online with my address but the Alexa device kitchen will not save my address.

If I ask Alexa the weather it says "Sorry I couldn't find your location, if you can you update your full address under device settings on the Alexa App I'll be able to automatically get the weather for where you are".

Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Okay, can you submit a Diagnostic and post the number in this thread for Sonos to investigate.
Your confirmation number is: 1968032076.