Question

Alexa “dining room” probl

• 25 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Alexa doesn’t recognize “play music in dining room”- which is quite odd. She even says she doesn’t understand “dining room”... and it’s one of the things Sonos instructs you to ask her to do on site explaining new Alexa feature. Hmmmm

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Do you have any other smart devices also called 'dining room'? If you have a smart light switch in the dining room, that could be an issue. Try change some names to make them more unique.

Also, I've found that for speakers 'on' instead of 'in' seems to work a little better. "Play music on the dining room". It could be nothing.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had the same problem when I had multiple devices named "Kitchen." I had to change the name for my Sonos One in the kitchen and it works now.
Personally, I named my lights suffixed with "Light" or groups of them with "Lights" and my Sonos named just the room name. I find it much more intuitive to say "Alexa, play The Clash in the Kitchen" to play music and "Alexa, turn on the Kitchen lights" to turn on the lights than it is to say "Alexa, play The Clash on the Kitchen Sonos" and "Alexa, turn on the Kitchen".

As always, YMMV.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Personally, I named my lights suffixed with "Light" or groups of them with "Lights" and my Sonos named just the room name.

That makes sense. I'll have to change the device names in my ISY and test it out. Thanks for the advice!

That makes sense. I'll have to change the device names in my ISY and test it out. Thanks for the advice!

Plus Alexa is smart when it comes to lights, in that you can say "lamp" instead of "light" and it will know what you mean. I interchange "bedside light" and "bedside lamp" and Alexa accepts both.
Thanks for replies, but no, I don’t have any other devices named ‘dining room’ ... maybe software updates will fix this in the future.
Thanks for replies, but no, I don’t have any other devices named ‘dining room’ ... maybe software updates will fix this in the future.

I would reproduce the problem, then submit a diagnostic and post the reference number here. The Sonos techs will take a look for you.