Question

Alexa control for Apple Music

• 7 November 2017
  • 11 replies

I would like to see the ability to initiate playback from Apple Music via Alexa. Apple Music is the only service that allows me to stream radio to my Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular, so, it is the only service I plan to use across the board. I cancelled my Spotify Premium account (even though it offered playback via Alexa to Sonos, with the exception of radio...) because it does not have an Apple Watch app thus it does not allow radio steaming to my watch. Is this integration in the cards?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
If you are in the US you can use my Skill to do this today.
First Sonos tells you that there is an integration with Alexa; well, i use Apple Music and Alexa now basically means I can regulate volume and go to the next song. (really, that is what you call being integrated???)
First Sonos tells you that there is an integration with Alexa; well, i use Apple Music and Alexa now basically means I can regulate volume and go to the next song. (really, that is what you call being integrated???)

Sonos never claimed to be integrating Apple Music with Alexa. Matter of fact, the only definitive statement ever made about Alexa control is that they would offer control of Amazon Alexa supported services.
Can anyone answer the OP’s question? I pay for a family plan subscription to Apple Music and is the only streaming music service I intend to use with my Sonos (based in UK).
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
For Apple music the most likely answer will be Airplay 2 support, which I believe Sonos are committed to next year. You'll almost certainly need to use Siri to control that by voice as it will be linked into Apple Homekit.

The problem in a nutshell is Amazon, Apple and Google want you to use their voice assistant and try to entice you to their camp with their music service. Unfortunately because they are trying to gain market share in this emerging space, they don't want you to be able to mix and match voice assistants with their rivals music services...

So the chances of Alexa controlling Google Play or Apple Music directly is very low.
Thanks Ian, frustrating but it is understandable from a commercial perspective.

However I do think that we should have the ability to launch pre-saved playlists on Sonos using Alexa, i.e. those that have been saved into My Sonos/Favorites. In fact I think the Sonos / Alexa “how to” page says that this is possible, but doesn’t appear to work for any of my playlists.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
That's straying into control of local music, as I'd expect Sonos playlists are stored in the same way. Whilst many of us would like to see that happen, it doesn't seem to be the direction Sonos are currently focused on.
Play1 with voice control for Apple Music Any chabce in the future?
If you are in the US you can use my Skill to do this today. Is this available in the UK?
Badge
If you are in the US you can use my Skill to do this today.Are you going to make that skill available in Canada as well?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Once Amazon support the required features outside the USA, yes.