Alexa Command to Play music/ TV from another Sonos Device

• 13 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Ok - this one might be easy and answered (I feel like it would have been) but I haven’t seen an answer to this challenge so I resort to a new post...

I have a Sonos Beam (connected to TV), and a Play:1 along with an echo dot.

So if I play something through my TV downstairs to the Beam and I want to play that audio now on the Play:1 upstairs, what / is there an Alexa command to do that?

More generally if the TV was out of the picture and I just asked Alexa to play amazon music playlist upstairs on the Play:1 how might I command Alexa to play that music on the Beam?)

Through the app - totally easy! Just curious if there was an Alexa command for that.

I do have the Beam and Play:1 in a group both through Sonos App and Alexa app if they is at all useful.

Thanks so much!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for confirming there is no Alexa command to get the TV sourced audio to the Beam to the Play:1 and understood on the ability to set default behavior.

On your scenario 1, doesn’t quite provide answer to my inquiry - to simplify, if there is something playing to one speaker is there a way to make that same audio broadcast to another / the other Sonos devices I might have via Alexa command?

I would love to be able to say something like “Alexa, play the music currently in the DEN in the LIVING ROOM”. Or something even more intuitive... I have tried a bunch of attempts but no luck. Again, through the app totally easy to group individual devices but I would selfishly love the ability to voice command that.

Thanks for your assistance - it is much appreciated!

Sorry, but there isn't a way of grouping a room to another and continue to output the current music. The only option is scenario one at the moment. Totally see the benefit of your requirement but it's not currently supported. 😞
Thanks for confirming there is no Alexa command to get the TV sourced audio to the Beam to the Play:1 and understood on the ability to set default behavior.

On your scenario 1, doesn’t quite provide answer to my inquiry - to simplify, if there is something playing to one speaker is there a way to make that same audio broadcast to another / the other Sonos devices I might have via Alexa command?

I would love to be able to say something like “Alexa, play the music currently in the DEN in the LIVING ROOM”. Or something even more intuitive... I have tried a bunch of attempts but no luck. Again, through the app totally easy to group individual devices but I would selfishly love the ability to voice command that.

Thanks for your assistance - it is much appreciated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So if I play something through my TV downstairs to the Beam and I want to play that audio now on the Play:1 upstairs, what / is there an Alexa command to do that?

This depends upon if you want this as a 'One-off' or a standard set-up: As a 'One-Off', there is no Alexa Command but as a standard output please open the Sonos App>Settings>Room Settings>[Your Beam]>TV and make sure Remove from the group is NOT selected.

More generally if the TV was out of the picture and I just asked Alexa to play amazon music playlist upstairs on the Play:1 how might I command Alexa to play that music on the Beam?)

Using the Echo Dot as your Alexa Controlling Device please see Scenario One in my post: https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/an-overview-and-explanation-of-the-new-support-for-alexa-grouping-6817788/index1.html#post16298346