Question

Alexa command to link rooms?

• 14 February 2020
  • 4 replies

How do Alexa and Sonos handle room grouping? In other words, what Alexa commands can I use to dictate where Sonos plays.

Asking for a specific room works just fine. I have a “Living Room” and “Kitchen”. But sometimes I want to play music “Downstairs” which includes both the “Living Room” and the “Kitchen”. I’m just curious as to the extent to which Alexa/Sonos can link and then de-link rooms verbally. Thanks!

4 replies

You can set up Alexa groups and use them as a target to start music, but you cannot group and ungroup on the fly.  In other words, you can say things like “Alexa, play Coltrane Downstairs” where “Downstairs” is an Alexa Group containing all the speakers on the downstairs floor.  But you then cannot say “Alexa, group the Upstairs with the Downstairs” and get the same music playing both downstairs and upstairs without restarting the stream/queue.  See this link for more:

Alexa Groups and Sonos

Thanks very much, makes sense. Hopefully Sonos/Alexa can refine the on-the-fly room-linking capabilities. I like to be able to link and de-link rooms for different needs around my house.

For instance, it would be fantastic if Alexa would allow you to create rooms such as “Living Room” and “Kitchen”, and then allow you to group those rooms, with a name such as “Downstairs”

For instance, it would be fantastic if Alexa would allow you to create rooms such as “Living Room” and “Kitchen”, and then allow you to group those rooms, with a name such as “Downstairs”

Well you can, you just cannot do it on the fly.  In other words you can create a group called ‘Downstairs’ and add the ‘Kitchen’ and ‘Living Room’ to that group.  You can then say “Alexa, play The Eagles Downstairs” and The Eagles will play in the Kitchen and Living Room. 

What you cannot do is say “Alexa, play The Eagles in the the Kitchen”, which starts Hotel California playing in the Kitchen, and then group the Living room in mid-song.  If you did say “Alexa, play The Eagles Downstairs” when the Kitchen was already playing, Hotel California would be interrupted, and a new Eagles song would start playing in the Kitchen and Living Room.