Question

Alexa and Spotify

• 16 October 2017
  • 24 replies

Can you please give an update when Spotify will be available through the Alexa / Sonos setup. I’d like to get an alexa dot for my daughter’s birthday by way of controlling her Sonos speaker. “Soon” is not a very specific answer, would be grateful if you can elaborate on ETA please.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You are not going to get any more from Sonos on that front than they have already stated. My advice would be to buy it or not on the basis of it's current functionality rather than what you hope it may do in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
see this tweet
https://twitter.com/SonosSupport/status/917421306336948224
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
whilst most would think of 'holidays' as the christmas holiday period I guess they could also mean next summer 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanksgiving? Christmas? Easter? Tomb Sweeping? Diwali?

Who knows but I'm amazed Sonos have allowed themselves to be sucked into providing brick bats to be used against them in the future!!
I bought an Echo Dot last year waiting for this setup. I'm still waiting so don't hold your breath
Userlevel 2
whilst most would think of 'holidays' as the christmas holiday period I guess they could also mean next summer ;-) not for an American company based in California.
whilst most would think of 'holidays' as the christmas holiday period I guess they could also mean next summer ;-) not for an American company based in California.

The same company that said early 2017 for original integration....

The same company that said early 2017 for original integration....

Except they didn't.

From the official Sonos press release:

These new voice capabilities will be delivered in a software update that will work with new and previously purchased Sonos and Alexa-enabled devices such as Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Amazon Tap, and Amazon Fire TV. The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017.

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
If only I took screen shots of everything I read in 2016...gutted!
But here you go, one of many
That is Gizmodo, not Sonos.
Obviously a deal was made with Amazon to preference their music service first. Hopefully, that premiere exclusivity isn't eternal for a tie in with Alexa. If we don't see anything by Christmas then I wouldn't hold my breath for it to be very forthcoming. At which point, I'll have to decide on whether to change my streaming music setup or just live without Alexa control. I really don't see any comparison between Spotify and Amazon at this point though so it might have to be the status quo.
Good grief. :8

So why offer SiriusXM and Pandora? In case you didn't know, Spotify uses a distinctly different streaming architecture, and often needs special tweaking that does not apply to other services. No evil Bezo-eaque conspiracy, just the usual PIA Spotify integration that's been going on since day 1.
SiriusXM and Pandora - this reminds me of pre-2010. Seriously though, Amazon's streaming service is competing first with Spotify and second with Google Music. I don't think there is anything wrong with making an exclusive deal with Amazon to integrate Alexa - that's the way business works. All I'm saying is that I hope its not too long before we get full integration with Alexa.

As to special tweaking....ya I don't buy that. Its already been done as we have limited Spotify integration. There is no special Alexa tweak needed. I can have my Sonos at very high volume and echo dot still here's me. It will even limit volume on the Sonos to listen for more commands. Its obviously already there - just a matter of the evil Bezo to finish wringing his hands first. muhahahaha!
Yeah, because Amazon is competing with Spotify. they refuse to let you play it via Sonos, but they don't care a fiddlers fig if you play it via Echo devices actually manufactured and sold by Amazon? Devices that outsell Sonos by 100 to one?

Very logical. Or maybe, just maybe, the Spotify implementation is taking a little longer than expected and will be here by the holidays, and we can save the tin-foil hats for some other silly conspiracy.
Thanksgiving? Christmas? Easter? Tomb Sweeping? Diwali?

Who knows but I'm amazed Sonos have allowed themselves to be sucked into providing brick bats to be used against them in the future!!

https://twitter.com/sonossupport/status/921324091608633345
This whole thing has been a car crash. I've been holding on to my echo dot for some useful function and thought Sonos would do that. Instead it just made my mind up for me and I'm going to junk the Amazon echo stuff. Let's be honest here people. It's awful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This whole thing has been a car crash. I've been holding on to my echo dot for some useful function and thought Sonos would do that. Instead it just made my mind up for me and I'm going to junk the Amazon echo stuff. Let's be honest here people. It's awful.

why not just wait a few more weeks until Spotify is working on Sonos over Alexa ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
21 December (this year)
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.100805575.710780148.1509470687-2126392721.1503934149
Userlevel 1
21 December (this year)
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4343?_ga=2.100805575.710780148.1509470687-2126392721.1503934149

We can only hope that that article is truthful. I mean, it was this time last year I bought an Echo Dot because of Live Chat I had with Sonos. They said Alexa/Sonos intergration was due early 2017.

I don’t profess to be the worlds most punctual but even by my standards... that’s ‘kin very late!
I checked in on this thread a few days ago to see what the update was for better Sonos/Spotify integration with Alexa. Thought what the heck I'll just ask Alexa to play a spotify playlist in the kitchen. Boom! It worked. Didn't expect it till December 21.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Same here, it just started working. Probably in beta... but working flawlessly for me. Very nice Sonos! I’m buying a second Sub now to show my thanks and support. Well, and because I want another one. 🙂
Userlevel 1
Credit where credit is due - thank you Sonos! I'm a happy bunny now! 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes it works for me too. So glad they included the command 'shuffle'.
"Shuffle playlistname playlist in roomname" works every time. Brilliant.