Question

Alexa and Sonos 1

I have bought a Sonos 1 for voice control with Alexa. I already have 4 Sonos 5's. I have uploaded the Alexa app and added the sonos skill and it has discovered all the sonos devices but when I ask Alexa to play anything she tells me that I need the Sonos Skill. I have disabled and enables the sonos skill but Alexa will not recognise it. Is this a UK problem?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Philleaf

Nope not a UK problem as mine is working great.

Can you check that the Sonos 1 is identified within the Alexa app>Smart Home and that it is not shown as off line? Also can you check that there is no duplicate names on any devices.

Try disabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app>Skills and then 'Enable'

Retest please.

If not fixed access the Alexa App>Smart Home>Devices (Must be on the PC version) and scroll to the bottom and select 'Forget all' then select 'Discover'.

Let me know how you get on.
Hi
Sonos 1 is identified and is online. I disabled and enabled sonos skill but no response from sonos1. Alexa kept telling me to enable sonos skill. I then disabled skill and selected "Forget All". I then enables sonos skill and then tried to discover. It told me that no devices were online. I then turned on an echo dot that I was given as a free gift. The echo dot found all the devices including the sonos1. However I can now only play music on the echo dot and none of my sonos speakers. I am frustrated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Can you go into the Sonos app and select Settings and your Sonos 1. Please disable the Voice Control and then Enable and then retest.
Hi
Did as requested but no difference. the only thing Alexa lets me control is the volume of the music that I am playing through Sonos 1 using normal Sonos services like Deezer
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi Philleaf, sounds like it'd be best for you to give us a call on our support line. Let's take a closer look at your system and see what's causing this.
Will do. By the way after lots of tries I can now control Sonos using my Echo dot but not my Sonos 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Will do. By the way after lots of tries I can now control Sonos using my Echo dot but not my Sonos 1.
Well, that's a start...
The team should be able to get you the rest of the way.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings