Answered

Alexa and music library on NAS Drive

• 23 April 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi I have just purchased a Sonos One Gen 2. I use Apple computers and phones. All of my music is stored in a NAS Drive on my network, and is the default music library in my Sonos setup.

I am trying to get Alexa to use this when I ask it to play me some music, but it only seems to want to play music from Amazon. I am clearly missing something when setting up or when asking Alexa to play the music. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 23 April 2019, 14:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
@Andrew88 Appologies, the Alexa Skill is "My Speaker".
Is this ever going to be available? There have been many requests to be able to play music from NAS drives by using Alexa in Sonos One. All the answers say "at this moment it's not possible ...". It's been a long moment. When's it going to be available? "At the moment" it's a complete waste of money to buy a Sonos One. Better to stick with a Play:1.
https://www.mypodapp.com

Install their Alexa skill, upload your mp3s to their servers, or to Google Drive, set up named playlists. Works fine with my Sonos Ones. Inexpensive.
Thank you for your reply @SkiBuddy. I assume you mesn "My Media" rather than "My Music". I have downloaded and configured it but it doesn't work very well. I can't get m4a files to play even with ffmpeg installed. When I ask it to play an album of mp3 files it streams the first track repeatedly. Whatever I play is never recognised in the Sonos app - it gets shown as "Radio - Unknown". Although My Media itself looks good, for me it doesn't work well with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can currently only request Alexa to play Music, by name/genre etc for services such as Spotify, Amazon Music and Apple Music. You cannot initiate music from your local source.

However once you are playing from a local source you can skip tracks, repeat tracks and pause/resume.
Thanks for the info. much appreciated
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the info. much appreciated

There is also the option within IFTTT (www.IFTTT.com) to use Alexa to initiate a Sonos Favorite which can be located on your NAS drive. Just set-up the Sonos Favorite in the Sonos App and then create an IFTTT account and use the Sonos Applet.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
While it isn't native capability to the Sonos device, I suggest trying the "My Music" Alexa Skill. It requires you to link it to your Sonos Account. You need to have configured your NAS drive in My Music Library using the Sonos App. You can then say "Alexa, ask My Music to Adele in the Lounge". It works well for me.