Alexa and 12V trigger on Port

• 13 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi

Anyone successful in getting the Port’s 12V trigger to work with Alexa ?   It works fine with S2 app, but if I want to start music using Alexa the digital starts streaming but the amp does not turn on.  Any ideas/suggestions.  If not, how do I report a bug?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

It’s probably best to contact Sonos Support: https://support.sonos.com/s/?language=en_US

I did try to do that, but I am talking to a BOT that does not understand my issue :-)

Is there a way to log a support ticket?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Panda888,

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

The Sonos Port is a streaming component streaming to your traditional stereo system, allowing you to play music, podcasts, and more using the Sonos app or Apple AirPlay 2. It can also stream vinyl and CDs to Sonos speakers around your home. Port has a 12V trigger output with a current rating of 200mA that can be connected to an amplifier with a 12V trigger input. This brings an amplifier out of standby mode when the music starts playing, reducing the time it takes for the amplifier to become active and start outputting audio to your speakers.

If you aren't getting sound from your Sonos Port, here are the steps that you can follow.

1. Check the volume
    • Depending on your Line-Out Level setting, you may need to adjust the volume in both the Sonos app and on your receiver.
    • To check your Line-Out Level settings
      • Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
      • From the Settings tab, tap System.
      • Tap the room with your Port, then tap Line-Out Levels.
    • If you have your Line-Out Level set to Fixed, you will need to adjust the volume on the receiver or device that you have connected to Port. If the Line-Out Level is set to Variable or Pass-Through, try adjusting the volume on both the receiver and in the Sonos app. You may need to adjust the volume higher than you expect in some configurations.
  2. Check the input on your receiver
    • Check that your receiver is set to the input that Sonos is connected to. Make sure that the Sonos app shows that something is playing as well.
  3.  Check the physical connections
    • The two pairs of analog plugs on the back of Sonos look similar, so if you're playing Sonos through your existing system, make sure the connections go from the OUT plugs on Sonos to an input on your receiver.
    • If you're playing another device through your Sonos systems, such as a turntable or CD player, make sure that the device is connected to the plugs labeled IN on the back of Sonos. Then, select Line-In as the source in the Sonos app. You may check our article on using line-in with Sonos for more information.

Hope this helps. If you're still experiencing the same, I recommend contacting our support team to perform further troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue. Our support team can provide you the support ticket in reference to the issue that you reported. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Hi

It is not the trigger is not working - it enables the amp if I use the Sonos app.  I would like the same to happen if I use Alex integration - either say Alex turn amp on or Alexa play ,usic in XXX room  

Alexa starts streaming but does not enable the amp in the process - It seems to be a bug  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Panda888

Thanks for your response and for updating us. Let me help you out with this.

Voice services like Google Assistant and Alexa allow you to control Sonos with your voice to play music, adjust volume, skip tracks, and even get the weather, all through your Sonos speakers. 
Alexa won't be able to turn on 3rd-party devices since they are not being recognized in the Sonos app. When you command Alexa to start playback on your Sonos Port, the 12V trigger should bring the amplifier/receiver out of standby mode when the music starts playing.

Did Alexa respond with an error message when you start the playback on your Sonos Port? If the Alexa command is not working on Sonos, you may follow the steps below:

1. Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
  2. Open the menu in the top left and tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill.
  3. Deregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by following the instructions on Amazon's website: Deregistering a device.
  4. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services, and select Amazon Alexa under Voice. Select the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove Alexa.
  5. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, including the Amazon app, Alexa app, and Amazon.com in your mobile browser.
    • To sign out of the Amazon mobile app:
      • On Android devices, open the app and tap Menu > Your Account > Sign Out.
      • On iOS devices, open the app and tap the menu icon in the top-left corner, and then choose Settings > "Not [name]?"
  6. Using the Sonos app, complete Alexa setup again. Follow the steps to log into the appropriate Amazon account when prompted to do so.
  7. Once completed, try giving Alexa another command.

If the steps provided did not resolve the issue, please contact our support team for further assistance. Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Alexa works fine with playing music etc. The issue is the alexa command coming to Sonos does not include the trigger command - it only starts playing (streaming musing on digital out),  but the amplifier remains in stand by (if I manually turns amp on music starts playing) - I do believe this is on the Sonos side (if trigger is not enabled and command is sent from Alexa enable the trigger and start playing)