Answered

Adjusting group volume with Sonos one

• 29 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi
I’ve just set up a pair of play 5’s (room 1) and a Sonos one (Room 2) but grouped the 3 (they’re all in same large room). I can now get Alexa to play music from Amazon on all 3 speakers when asked. However if I ask Alexa to turn down volume on room 1 (or all) it only works on the Sonos one.
Anyway it can adjust volume for the pair of 5’s too?
Thanks
icon

Best answer by jgatie 29 December 2018, 18:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There is no group volume control via Alexa at this time. You must adjust each room with a separate command.
There is no group volume control via Alexa at this time. You must adjust each room with a separate command.

Thanks, that’s a shame.
What commands do you give for other rooms as I can’t get it to work separately either.
2x play 5’s in room called School Hall and 1x Sonos one in room called Alexa. These rooms are both grouped. I’ve tried things like “Alexa turn up school hall volume”, to get just volume of play 5’s to increase, but nothing. Does it only work if not grouped?
I use "Alexa, raise the volume in (room name)" or "Alexa, volume level 2 in (room name)."
Userlevel 1
Badge
This post suggests that group volume control should be possible, however it isn't working for me.

"You can also adjust the volume without having to name a room, so long as you're speaking to the microphone enabled device set up in that Alexa Group. "Alexa, turn it down/up," is all you'll need to say to adjust the volume on the Preferred Speaker."

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588
@xenarthral Sonos groups and Alexa groups are not the same thing. In terms of volume, only the 1st listed speaker/room (currently, I believe) can be automatically controlled by default with an Alexa group. I agree that intuitively speaking, it would make sense for volume commands to effect all preferred speakers, but that is not the case currently. I wouldn't be too surprised if this changes in the future.
Userlevel 2
There should be a default voice command to increase the volume of Sonos speakers in the same room(Group).
However it does work with Alexa, if you group your speakers together in the Alexa App.