Answered

Add Alexa to Sonos 5

Hello

I am brand new to Sonos (longtime Bose guy)

I am setting up my Sonos 5 and am struggling to get Alexa assigned to the speaker. I’ve gone through the prompts of enabling the skill and finding the speaker but then nothing happens from there. I go back to the Sonos App and nothing happens. 

help!

icon

Best answer by John B 22 May 2022, 00:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi. That's because the Five does not have Alexa built in. You could add it fairly cheaply by getting an Echo Dot

Which Amazon Alexa device are you using to try to control the Five, is it an echo device, or another Sonos device with the built-in assistant?

I feel stupid not checking that. Assumed a speaker at that price point would have it built in. Will work on the alt route with an Alexa device. Thanks!!

I feel stupid not checking that. Assumed a speaker at that price point would have it built in. Will work on the alt route with an Alexa device. Thanks!!

I misunderstood your initial post, I thought you were using the Five with another Alexa device, but that it just wasn’t working.

Anyhow, until you get an echo dot, you can maybe just use the Alexa assistant built into the Amazon Alexa App on your mobile device. You need to set a default music service in the Alexa App and then see this link below (and links off) for the type of instructions you can use to play/control the music on your speaker:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514

Great. Thank you!!

The price should guarantee an overall package that is of a certain standard, but never assume that a particular feature will be present.  There are actually some advantages to using a separate Echo device.  As you will just be using it to convey commands, an older gen Dot would be fine.

Do NOT assume that you will be able to play the Echo and Sonos together in sync - you can’t.