5.1 but want Alexa drop in

• 2 November 2020
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 2

I have a playbar, sub and 2 sonos 1's as my rears with Alexa built in. Since alexa doesn't allow drop in with Sonos, I am trying to figure out if I can use an echo dot for alexa (turn off alexa feature on the 1's) and still keep the surround sound as well as the easy access of playing having alexa control?

Appreciate any ideas??

29 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Barryol, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. We really appreciate your time and effort in bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

Do you use your Amazon account in another home or location?
Did Alexa work before in your current setup? When was the last time Alexa worked with your Sonos?
When you ask Alexa about time and the weather, did she respond correctly?

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you. I know that you have performed the troubleshooting below, it would be best to follow it step by step.

1. Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device.
  2. Open the menu in the top left and tap on Skills & Games > Your Skills > Sonos > Disable Skill.
  3. Deregister your Sonos speaker from Alexa by following the instructions on Amazon's website: Deregistering a device.
  4. Disable Voice Control in the Sonos app. From the Settings tab, tap Services and select Amazon Alexa under Voice. Select the voice-enabled speaker from the list of Sonos Products, and tap Remove Alexa.
  5. Log out of all Amazon Apps on the mobile device, including the Amazon app, Alexa app and Amazon.com in your mobile browser.
    • To sign out of the Amazon mobile app:
      • On Android devices, open the app and tap Menu > Your Account > Sign Out.
      • On iOS devices, open the app and tap the menu icon in the top-left corner, and then choose Settings > "Not [name]?"
  6. Using the Sonos app, complete Alexa setup again. Follow the steps to log into the appropriate Amazon account when prompted to do so.
  7. Once completed, try giving Alexa another command.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 2

I don't believe the response is correct for my question! My Alexa enabled sonos 1-speakers don't support the drop alexa feature. I would like to use drop in and trying figure a end round to the known issue. Can I use an echo dot with my current setup (playbar, sub and 2 sonos 1) and use the dot as my primary alexa enabled device

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Barryol, thank you for your response and for clarifying your concern. My apologies for the inconvenience.

You were right, the drop-in feature is not available with Sonos. What I can do is send in a feature request to make this available in the Sonos app. We don't have the timeline and the information yet to share with you about this but you can check our announcements when this feature becomes available. 

Yes, you can use Alexa Echo dot as your primary Alexa enabled device. They should be in the same network to be able to communicate. You can set up Alexa Group and select your preferred speaker. With Alexa's preferred speaker feature, you can put multiple Sonos products together in one Alexa Group, like “downstairs” or “outside,” then play music to all of them with a single voice command.

If you experience any issues, please contact Amazon for further assistance.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Userlevel 1

Please yes. This feature (drop in) is soooo necessary.

I’m ALMOST willing to go back to the crap sound quality of my echo’s to get this back. For me, multiple devices isn’t an option.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Don’t expect much. This CS agent doesn’t seem to know much, people have been requesting this for years, don’t think this is going to get resolved. 

Userlevel 1

even if not all customers contact you, there are probably thousands waiting for this feature.

best regards to your CS

even if not all customers contact you, there are probably thousands waiting for this feature.

best regards to your CS

I created an account literally just so I could agree with this. It is 100% necessary.

Yup - totally agree; this needs including. 

Wow - just “upgraded” with 4 new Sonos One’s - had no idea I wouldn’t get “drop in” function with Alexa.  May return them - kind of depressing really...

Also really disappointed not to be able to use Drop In feature with my Sonos. I will have to choose a product from another brand with inferior sound quality for my next purchase.

Agree - just made an account to say I need this. 4 sonos ones and can’t drop in :(

I need drop-in as well the “incoming call” Ringer

Call ringer is there (alexa.amazon.com) but is not working.

Why the hold up? Surely everyone wants this? It’s very frustrating not having it

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Surely everyone wants this?

No: I don’t want it, so not everyone. 

I definitely want it, and expected it when I bought an “Alexa-enabled" device.

You need not fear as you will have the choice to not use it, like you can in other “Alexa-enabled" devices. Currently I don't have that choice.

ps: I, like someone else in this thread, joined the forum just to make this post; it's important to people.

You need not fear as you will have the choice to not use it, like you can in other “Alexa-enabled" devices. Currently I don't have that choice.

ps: I, like someone else in this thread, joined the forum just to make this post; it's important to people.

I wouldn’t hold out much hope for this.  Amazon and Google are going to continuosly add features to their voice assistant.  They can do that due to vast size and huge customer base.  Sonos, on the other hand, will always be playing catch up trying to add features that are not related to their primary purpose of being a music player.  I think Sonos tried to keep up for a while, adding some features here and there, but spend their development efforts on features that enhance music and home theatre experience.

I wouldn’t hold out much hope for this.  Amazon and Google are going to continuosly add features to their voice assistant.  They can do that due to vast size and huge customer base.  Sonos, on the other hand, will always be playing catch up trying to add features that are not related to their primary purpose of being a music player.  I think Sonos tried to keep up for a while, adding some features here and there, but spend their development efforts on features that enhance music and home theatre experience.

Yes it's important that they focus on this primarily but features like drop in are becoming a must for these kind of devices. It adds a ton of value to them.

I’ve been looking at the Amazon development documentation for this “missing” functionality. It is collectively called the “Alexa Voice Service” and one of the requirements is:

Devices that support Calling, Messaging, and Announcements must have visual indicators. A sound-only implementation of the ACM attention system states is not permitted.

Which suggests that Sonos are not allowed to implement this feature unless they also add some blinky lights to their speakers.

:-(

Badge

I’ve been looking at the Amazon development documentation for this “missing” functionality. It is collectively called the “Alexa Voice Service” and one of the requirements is:

Devices that support Calling, Messaging, and Announcements must have visual indicators. A sound-only implementation of the ACM attention system states is not permitted.

Which suggests that Sonos are not allowed to implement this feature unless they also add some blinky lights to their speakers.

:-(

Interesting. I doubt Sonos even bothered reaching out to Amazon about it- if they did they would have explained why it is still not implemented by now. Or else Sonos do not want to say it is impossible to be implemented because customers would go (more) mad if they heard the truth?

To me that’s a big feature missing in a big/expensive product.

I believe it is time for Sonos to have drop-in functionality. It is something that a great company like Sonos, can easily achieve at least for some of their devices where led are available.

Vote with Likes :relaxed:

Userlevel 2

What I have done is brought a cheap dot, put next to one of my sonos and using a different wake word to use the drop in feature. While sonos is great for music I don't like having multiple devices in the same area to make my life easier. Sonos doesn't support drop in and music grouping with other echo devices. Thinking about going with the the echo studio. Same price, same sound but more functionality. The smart phone was developed and thrives because it reduces number of devices we carry, time for sonos to understand they need to focus on what makes their customers happy (how long did it take from them to add dobly atomos)

Agree. The Drop in feature is an absolute essential function. How u only get half of Alexa, when they advertise Amazon Alexa on the packaging. 

Any update Sonos Please??? 

Agree. The Drop in feature is an absolute essential function. How u only get half of Alexa, when they advertise Amazon Alexa on the packaging. 

Any update Sonos Please??? 

It’s actually an Alexa ‘enabled’ device - not a full echo Alexa product and I suspect Amazon keep some features back to make their own products attractive to purchase too… the primary purpose of Alexa on Sonos is to playback and control the music on the speaker using a voice assistant so I perhaps would not expect to see every echo product feature enabled on Sonos - Our LG TV also came with Alexa enabled, but it does not support every feature that Amazon provides.

Created this account as well to reply to this.

it’s incredibly gobsmacking that the Sonos person replied not only with the wrong answer  but didn’t bother to read your query at all.  Neither did the next one,  nor did they bother to guide you in workarounds. Neither did anyone else .

the question was simple.  Beam doesn’t support drop in. Why? Who cares.  The guy just needs to solve a problem. 
answer.  Have an echo next to your beam or in the room.  Connect them to your Sonos speakers. Then TURN The microphone OFF on your Beam.  
Unfortunately this doesn’t allow you to turn the music down or up etc. but allows you to turn it on or off. 

Sonos support (and this goes for all tech support )

. READ THE QUESTION

ANSWER THE QUESTION

SUGGEST ALTERNATIVES

EXPLAIN WHY YOU CANT DO SOMETHING 

in this case you are able to fix this but you don’t (ie allow the echo to control the beam )  but you don’t  WHY  ? 

Created this account as well to reply to this.

it’s incredibly gobsmacking that the Sonos person replied not only with the wrong answer  but didn’t bother to read your query at all.  Neither did the next one,  nor did they bother to guide you in workarounds. Neither did anyone else .

The original post is over a year old, and the ‘Sonos person’ who answer the question was actually a temporary contractor that Sonos no longer employs.

the question was simple.  Beam doesn’t support drop in. Why? Who cares.  The guy just needs to solve a problem. 
answer.  Have an echo next to your beam or in the room.  Connect them to your Sonos speakers. Then TURN The microphone OFF on your Beam.  
Unfortunately this doesn’t allow you to turn the music down or up etc. but allows you to turn it on or off. 

The question was about the Playbar, not the Beam.  A minor point perhaps, but if you’re going to get on someone for not reading the question properly, than your point would have more merit if you got it right.  And honestly, I don’t know what you’re getting it by ‘Connect them’ as that’s rather vague...and you can control volume and other functions via an echo dot if setup properly.

And the workaround/solution is there, though not really well explained.  You can setup an Alexa group (link provided by Sonos rep) to properly integrate a dot and Sonos room into one physical room.    I don’t use the drop in feature very often, but the few times I have used it, this solution worked just fine.  I don’t know that the Sonos room will automatically mute or duck during the entire call, as I’ve always had the sound off during a call.

Sonos support (and this goes for all tech support )

. READ THE QUESTION

ANSWER THE QUESTION

SUGGEST ALTERNATIVES

EXPLAIN WHY YOU CANT DO SOMETHING 

in this case you are able to fix this but you don’t (ie allow the echo to control the beam )  but you don’t  WHY  ? 

I’m not sure if you’re saying the Alexa group feature doesn’t provide enough functionality or if you’re unaware of Alexa groups and what they do.