Answered

Using Sonos Roam with old wired stereo speakers without sound lag

• 17 January 2023
  • 2 replies

I purchased a pair of Roam speakers to use with my existing stereo system, connecting through Bluetooth, so that I can listen to CDs/radio/vinyl playing from my receiver in other rooms. I have an external Bluetooth transmitter/receiver plug-in to connect with the Roams which works well, however there is a significant sound lag between the Roam and the existing stereo speakers so I can't have them both on at the same time. I tried a different plug-in Bluetooth transmitter/receiver with different Bluetooth codecs as well but that didn’t work either.

Is there any way I can get the wireless Roam speakers and my old wired speakers to work in sync? I have read about needing to hook up old systems with the Port or Amp but I want to be sure that this would actually fix my problem before I invest in a substantially more expensive component.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Current System:

Record Player: Project Primary-E

CD Player: Pioneer PD-M403 SR

Stereo Receiver: Sony STR-DH190

Wired Speakers: B&W 200 Series V201

Wireless Speakers: Sonos Roam

Bluetooth Transmitter/Receivers:

1Mii B310pro

Monoprice Bluetooth 5 Transmitter & Receiver 138071

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 January 2023, 20:42

View original

2 replies

Thank you Danny.  Having a Bluetooth connection was not my main goal; it just seemed like the most straightforward way to wirelessly connect my Roam speakers to an existing wired setup to play my cds and vinyl in other rooms. 

This is a new area for me, which I’m still trying to wrap my head around, but I think I understand now why the Bluetooth transmitter cannot work for a fully integrated system.  I have ordered the Sonos Port which should resolve that issue if I’ve understood your explanation and my research properly. It is quite an upgrade but I’m hoping it will save me some headaches and frustration with my current set up!

Thanks again for your suggestion and fingers crossed this will work. 

It’s going to be difficult to get them to play in sync via bluetooth as the two systems aren’t really trying to play in sync, if that makes sense.   

A Port or Amp would work.  An amp would replace your existing receiver, but it only has a single RCA input.  So you would need to swap between CD and vinyl, maybe use an RCA switch.  A port would connedt to your receiver as an input, you can possibly connect as an out too, but this would introduce a buffering delay that you’re trying to avoid.  You would want to connect CD/vinyl as an input to the Port, which again, there is just one.

You can also use the aux input on Fives as well.