Answered

Getting setup with older turntable and amp

• 27 March 2023
  • 1 reply

I’ve just gotten my dad’s old music setup and am really excited to get it all set up. He’s passed along his turntable and amp, both just over 20 years old and in great condition. The only thing I don’t have is a speaker. I’m looking to get started with the Sonos Era 300, but I wanted to see how people connect their older devices to current Sonos products. Currently, I’m thinking it’s: connect the turntable to the amp, connect the amp to my analog-to-digital converter, and connect the converter to the Sonos speaker. Is there something I’m missing? I’m really not looking to replace anything; I just want to be sure I have the right pieces to press play and enjoy some music. 

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 27 March 2023, 22:10

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The best way to connect an old turntable is to use an external Phono Amp.  There are loads to choose from> Here is a well respected one https://petertyson.co.uk/ifi-audio-zen-air-dac-1?whf= But the sky is the limit.

HOWEVER if the Amp has a Phono input (very Likely) and a Line out or Tape Out/Monitor (less Likely) then you could use the Phono Amp on that amplifier.  Connect the Tape out to the Sonos Line In Adapter and connect to the USB C Era input. You’ll likely need to set the Line Input settings to 8 or above to get decent volume from the turntable.